This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Being a college student for the last two years, I have learned a thing or two about frat parties.  So trust me on these next few tips that may save you from a few embarrassing moments, and ensure a great night and good relations with the frat you partied with!

1. DO NOT follow that one boy you’ve been in love with all semester and hookedup with last weekend.  Most likely he will get annoyed with and probably run away anytime he sees your face pop up in the crowd.

2. DO NOT care what other people think of your dance moves.  Dance your heart out and rock that dance floor.

3. DO NOT wear 6 inch heels (or heels at all really), most likely you will end up sliding and falling all over the place because of how disgusting those frat basement floors are.  The combination of alcohol+ heels+ cute outfit= a not so good combination.

4. DO NOT be afraid to show up to a frat party in leggings, a tee and a hat.  It has been my go to for a while.  You end up fitting in better with the crowd if there was a theme that night and it’s a great conversation starter.

5. DO NOT show up to a frat party without knowing that certain fraternities have rules on their version of flip cup.  

6. DO NOT be a hog of the local fifth traveling the room. You probably do not need anymore alcohol if you have been cradling the bottle all night.

7. DO NOT be the only one dancing on elevated surfaces.  I know you are thinking to yourself “my moves are sick, look at everyone looking at me!” Yeah, no, you’re wrong (unless of course you are Zac Efron)

8. DO NOT bug the DJ about your song choice too much; he may end up not playing it at all, and wouldn’t that be a downer on your night.