Valentine’s Day Warning: First Step, Don’t Panic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Valentine’s Day is around the corner but I DO NOT WANT YOU TO PANIC. Yes you.  Breathe, relax and refrain from romantic comedies, 90’s slow jams, John Mayer, the Twilight series, and anything remotely related to The Notebook (ha-ha I’m kidding, but no really 90’s slow jams will do it to you.)

I’m aware that stores are about to undergo a serious mutation with overwhelming amounts of pink and red, and that one girlfriend that won’t stop asking you advice about what gift is perfect for her boyfriend is really starting to bother you, but I promise you she’ll figure it out before you’re ready to kill her.  After all Valentine’s Day is just that, one day.

So why all the commotion about February 14th and the infestation of pinks, and reds, and chocolates, and teddy bears, and flowers, and hugs, and kisses, and Kay jewelers suddenly the only commercial on TV ringing louder than ever “ Every kiss begins with Kay” and all I want to scream back is “No, everybody hates Valentine’s day?”

If you ask me, the day is nothing more than an obnoxious reminder of the obsession with feeling that you need to be “with” someone.  I mean since when has being single killed. Yes I will admit I am speaking as a single person but I’m sure those that will be “celebrating” this year can agree that Valentine’s day is not the only day they choose to show their love, so why is it made into such a big deal?

A day purposed to show affection, tender, love and care to significant others.  I must ask though, isn’t that the point of anniversaries? And they’re individualized so every couple can feel special. I’m just saying.

Now to those of you who do have a valentine this year, go ahead and revel in the day, and for those of us that don’t, I offer the same advice. Go out with your girls, see a movie, go to that restaurant you’ve always wanted, watch a killer series marathon J(ha-ha kidding again), and enjoy life. What good is sitting at home sulking going to do?

No Valentine this year? Just fine. Who knows, maybe you’ll meet your next year’s on this 14th. After all, you never know the luck of a lousy cat.