UMD Terminating Eight Athletic Teams, Placing UMD Under ACC’s 21 Team Per School Average

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

On Nov. 21, the president of the University of Maryland, Wallace D. Loh, sent an email to all students announcing the discontinuation of eight athletic teams starting June 30, 2012.

The President’s Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics made this recommendation, and Loh, as well as the Athletic Director Kevin Anderson and the University Athletic Council, decided to accept it.

According to Loh’s official statement on his website released on Nov. 21, the teams being affected are men’s cross-country, indoor track, outdoor track, swimming and diving, tennis and women’s acrobatics and tumbling, swimming and diving, and water polo.

The University of Maryland has now downsized to 19 teams, roughly below the 21-team ACC average.

Loh did specify that all athletic scholarships given to those athletes in these programs would still be honored. In his statement, Loh explained this decision was made due to budget reductions. Instead of having many programs that are “under supported” because the budget has to be divided to more programs, the university decided to have fewer programs that could be greater supported and have the potential to be more successful.

In his statement, Loh said, “The Commission’s recommendations — reluctantly reached in a time of constrained resources — will restore Maryland Athletics to financial health and sustainability by 2019 and will enhance the support for student-athletes in the remaining 19 teams so that they can excel in the classroom and on the field.”

Loh’s statement did mention that the financial challenges the intercollegiate athletics face at Maryland are not uncommon in NCAA Division 1 schools. In fact, universities mainly rely on the revenue that football and basketball bring, and the publicity it comes with. However, this has caused controversy with athletes, students and parents alike.

Junior criminal justice major Craig Morgan is on the men’s track and cross-country teams, and he was against any of the teams being cut and any student athletes losing “the opportunity to compete at one of the highest levels of their respective sports.”

As Morgan pointed out, this is the 88th year that the track and field team has been competing at Maryland. “It’s very unfortunate that some student-athletes have to suffer for decisions that others have made in the past and present,” Morgan said. “Most of us have dreamed of doing this growing up and the decision to cut our teams is devastating.”

Unfortunately for some like Morgan, the end of these teams means the end of their sport careers at Maryland. Morgan said for his last year he might compete at club level or train on his own. Luckily, a year allows these athletes time to think about their options.

“As a student, having the teams be cut is obviously upsetting, but I understand the reasons behind the decision,” sophomore journalism major and dancer Shelby said. “Hopefully this change will benefit our remaining teams and allow Maryland to get back on track financially for the future.”

According to Loh, his office received e-mail petitions from over 10,000 people to save teams. Facebook pictures, banners and groups have even been made to help save teams as well. Students reached out through these groups to raise funds in order to keep their program alive on its own, and spread the word of signing the petitions. Unfortunately, the decision has been made.