The Ultimate Excuse to Get Showered in Gallons of Neon Paint- The Dayglow Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The ultimate excuse to get showered in gallons of neon paint while raving to pulsing house music, Dayglow fills buses with fist-pumping, glow-stick-wielding college kids. Washington D.C.’s installment of this season’s Dayglow at the RFK Memorial Stadium was the 19th visit on the paint party’s “Blu” tour. There were 6,000 attendees dressed in white at the affair.

The DJs featured were DJs Kid Lucky, RNS, Matt Goldman, David Solano and George Acosta. Like many of the shows across the country before it, tickets were sold out long before the event on Sept. 30. Some trying to acquire tickets at the last minute spent up to $120 for a spot on the floor.

Now, there is little doubt that a night of partying in paint yields a good time. But, as the one event that attracts hundreds from the student body, it seems to lack a lot of depth. In a city with an extensive music scene and dozens of great clubs, spending a fortune to listen to mediocre house music seems downright silly. So why the strong allure?

“Dayglow is more appealing than other D.C. events since most of the others are just straight concerts, but Dayglow has more of a party feeling to it,” UMD sophomore criminology major Jonathan Regan said. “I thought it sounded like a lot more fun, plus I had heard from a lot of people that it was amazing.”

The roots of the Dayglow enterprise rest firmly with students. Dayglow began in 2006 on college campuses in Florida and quickly evolved into a college tradition. As the trend caught on nationwide, some shows began to include renowned DJs, aerial acts, stilt-walkers, contortionists, fire and light shows, and paint-blasting cannons.

Sophomore psychology and pre-med major Olivia Gawrych had only positive things to say about her first Dayglow experience this past month. “I’d definitely recommend it,” says Gawrych. “It was a good time; everyone was dancing and having a lot of fun.”  Gawrych, who has been to many events with similar crowds, admits that Dayglow was one of her favorite D.C. affairs to date.

For party-goers looking for a good, rowdy time, Dayglow should go on the calendar. However, despite the occasional established performer headlining, Dayglow’s intention is first and foremost just a party. Dayglow is not a concert, contrary to some common misconception, and it may not be the most culturally rewarding outing, but then again, that’s never stopped a college kid before.