diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips to Surviving UMD’s First Look Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The First Look Fair is a time to explore all the clubs and organizations the University of Maryland has to offer. Maybe you want to join club swimming or ultimate Frisbee.

Maybe there is a religious group calling your name. Perhaps you’re looking to join Greek life. Or, you want to SEE what Student Entertainment Events is all about.

No matter your interests, there is a club for you at UMD, and with more than 800 registered student groups on campus, you’re sure to find your perfect match.

Now, don’t get too overwhelmed. The First Look Fair may be a madhouse of tables, music, students and giveaways, but fear not. Come September 14 and 15, a successful experience at the fair awaits with the help of these pointers.

1. OrgSync is your best friend.

Visit the website BEFORE the First Look Fair to help get an idea of what you’re looking for and what groups will be on McKeldin Mall during the fair. Orgsync has all UMD student groups divided into 23 categories, which include Academic, Cultural, Greek, Sports and Performing Arts.Within these categories, each group is listed with a short description, which will help to narrow down the organizations you want to hunt for at the fair.

2. Make a list.

While you’re scrolling through Orgsync, make a list of at least five groups you want to find at the fair. Five is a good number because it gives you options in case you find a club you don’t like or can’t find one on your list once at the event. My first time at the First Look Fair, I had a list of four groups I was interested in and only found three of them. But, I did come across a couple groups I liked that weren’t on my list. That being said, making a list is helpful, but don’t be afraid to stray away from your initial plan and explore other options.

3. Go early.

This one is big for those looking to pick up some cool freebies. You don’t want to arrive after the crowd, when tables are breaking down and all the good giveaways are picked over. Get there within the first hour and do a sweep of the place. And you’ll probably run across an organization on your list while you’re collecting magnets, sunglasses, t-shirts, water bottles, pens, temporary tattoos and other goodies.

4. Get in and Get Out.

The paths are organized by category, and are usually labeled with flags at the start of each row around the mall fountain, so they get crowded fast. The epicenter of the First Look Fair is not a place you want to be in for too long, so once you do your initial sweep, take a breather on the outskirts of the mall. Look over your list and see if you missed anything. Are you satisfied with all the tables you’ve visited and the students you’ve met?

5. Join Listservs.

Do this! Use your terpmail, Gmail or any other email you want, but join email lists! Even if you’re on the fence about joining a club, put your email down so you can get reminders when meetings take place and stay aware of what is happening. Even though it’s good to join organizations at the beginning of the semester, you can always hop on board later.

6. Go alone.

This one can be scary, especially if you’re a freshman. But, you’re not alone. Everyone at the fair is there for the same reason, to find a place where they belong. Sure, going with your roommate may be fun and a lot less anxiety-inducing, but don’t be afraid to split up. If you have different interests, staying together will be less efficient and less productive. Don’t be afraid to seek out clubs on your own, soon you’ll make friends within the organizations you join, anyway.

Go forth, my Terp! Be fearless!

Chelsea is a student at the University of Maryland - College Park and a life-long fan of the reality show Survivor. When she's not talking about how much she loves her dog, she's most likely catching up on TV shows. Chelsea spends a lot of her free time on social media and hopes to one day work for MTV. Her favorite things to do are eat Oreos, explore new places and write. You can find her on Instagram: @chellyhanson and Tinder.