Style > Beauty

The Drugstore Foundation Aisle Expands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

How many times have you walked out of a drugstore empty-handed with several foundation swatches on your hands that  either are not the right skin undertone or overtone? There’s no doubt that higher-end makeup brands have nailed skin tone inclusivity, but spending $40 to $50 on a bottle of foundation is not always the most feasible option for everyone. Drugstore brands have started to recognize this problem and have started to make their shade range more accessible. Now, more than ever, foundation shopping has become much easier. If you are looking for your perfect match, here are a few great options to start with:

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation (Matte+Poreless)

Now retailing with 40 shades this foundation only costs $8.99. You can also access a virtual shade finder on Maybelline’s website to find your shade from the comfort of your home. This product is also fragrance-free, non-comedogenic and oil-free. Additionally, according to Allure, this foundation has expanded its aisle with 16 additional shades in recent years.

L’Oréal True Match Super Blendable Foundation 

This famous foundation costs $14 and is oil-free, non-comedogenic, alcohol-free and fragrance-free. This product is liquid-based, medium coverage and can suit different skin types —including sensitive skin. L’Oreal has also paid special attention to including different undertones and skin tones, as each bottle has been formulated with up to six different color pigments and the formulation can automatically adapt to your skin color and texture. With 47 shades to offer, this may be the foundation for you.

E.L.F. Flawless Satin Foundation

Costing $6, this foundation cannot offer you a better deal. With a range of 40 shades the foundation can be easily matched to your needs. E.L.F offers an interactive website where you can choose your skin tone and undertone —which in turn offers suitable shade matches. The product is also formulated to hydrate, give buildable coverage and a natural blend and improve uneven skin tone and texture. 

Compared to the aisle ranges we have seen before, the ones we see now have given a lot of us a better opportunity to be a part of the beauty community. As drugstore brands continue to expand, the day when we all can find a foundation match should not be that far away. 

Harini Muthu

Maryland '25

Hi! I am Harini Muthu, currently majoring in neuroscience and minoring in Sustainability.