Style > Beauty

The Best Ways to Keep Your Skin Healthy, Hydrated and Glowing During the Harsh Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

There is no worse pain than having dry skin during the winter. The winter can be harsh, especially on your skin. The cold, windy air is horrible and can suck all of the moisture out of your face. Here are some steps you can take to avoid painfully-dry skin and ways to keep your skin looking smooth, glowy and hydrated- all winter long.

1. Aquaphor Healing Ointment

Aquaphor is amazing to use during cold weather; it is versatile and has few ingredients. For those who have sensitive skin, this product is your best bet to keep your skin moisturized. 

Aquaphor is made of petroleum (a mineral oil blend), glycerin and lanolin alcohol. Together, these three ingredients make the perfect combination for hydration. This combination helps to create a barrier over the skin and keep the cold air from drying out your face. The barrier helps moisture stay locked in, allowing your skin to be hydrated for a longer period of time.

To get the best use out of your Aquaphor tube, apply moisturizer, serums or your go-to skincare items after cleansing your face, and follow it up with a thin layer of Aquaphor.

1. First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser and the Ultra Repair Cream

Facial cleansers can be very stripping and can leave your face feeling dry and tight. The First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser gets rid of dirt and impurities without sucking all of the moisture out of your skin. 

Pairing this with the Ultra Repair Cream is the perfect combination to use during winter. The Ultra Repair Cream is nourishing and keeps your face soft and hydrated all day long, without feeling too oily or heavy.

For those with extremely dry skin and eczema, this may be what you need. These products are gentle and are made to improve your skin’s moisture barrier.

1. Vitamin E Oil

Vitamin E oil is essential during winter. Vitamin E oil is great for the skin and has many benefits for your face. While moisturizing and nourishing, it also provides a subtle glow while reducing hyperpigmentation and wrinkles. 

Cold temperatures can cause irritation, redness and dry skin- all of which can be fixed by Vitamin E oil. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to soothe irritated skin, which often happens because of cold dry air. 

Vitamin E oil can be used in a few ways. When your face is noticeably dry, you can add a few drops to your facial cleanser while washing your face. This oil is an emollient, meaning that it removes dirt from your pores and removes bacteria that can cause acne.  

Vitamin E oil can also be used overnight to provide deep hydration. Gently rub a few drops on your face before going to sleep. After washing your face the next morning, you should notice your skin looking and feeling much better. 

1. The Ordinary Salicylic 2% Acid Masque

Dry, flaky, peeling skin is a pain to get rid of. When dealing with this, The Ordinary Salicylic 2% Acid Masque is the answer. 

This mask is a mild chemical exfoliant, which removes dead skin cells and impurities. After leaving this mask on for eight to 10 minutes, your face will be noticeably softer and smoother, with no sign of peeling skin afterward. 

1. The Glowscreen Sunscreen

Sunscreen keeps your skin hydrated and protected from dangerous UV rays. The Supergoop! Glowscreen SPF 40 provides protection, all while keeping your skin hydrated. 

Even though the sun is not as hot during the winter, sunscreen should be worn throughout the whole year. While the sun may not be as present, UV rays still are able to penetrate your skin and so protection is needed daily. 

During winter, sunburns can still occur if you are outside for a long period of time. The sunburn during winter, combined with the dry and cold weather, is awful for your skin and can be painful. 

The Glowscreen SPF 40 can also be used as a daily primer, giving off a dewy finish to make your skin naturally glow. It is formulated with hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, both of which are great hydrating additives.

Maya Patel

Maryland '24

Hello! My name is Maya and I am currently a Junior hoping to graduate with a degree in Journalism.