The best places to grab a sweet treat in georgetown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Article by Freelancer Kayla Conroy

I may not be a food critic, but I have quite the sweet tooth. Luckily for me, the University of Maryland, College Park, is just a metro ride away from Washington, D.C. and is home to a slew of cute places to snag sweet food. Georgetown in particular has plenty of places to offer. Below is a list of my favorite places to grab fabulous sweets in Georgetown.

For Brunch: 

Clyde’s

The french toast here is to die for. They also have other delectable brunch items available. If you do order the french toast, you are in for a real treat. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a softer french toast than I did at Clyde’s, and the syrup is wonderfully sweet. While this is my go-to spot for a scrumptious brunch, their lunch, dinner and dessert options are also delicious. In terms of the atmosphere of the restaurant, I am always surrounded by a sense of welcome when I step into Clyde’s. The cozy booths, the wooden accents, the deep red coloring, the warm lighting, the art that decorates the walls–they all contribute to this homey atmosphere. The look of this restaurant is classic American, which compliments their American cuisine quite well. You can eat at Clyde’s in Georgetown, or alternatively, head to the location adjacent to the Capital One Arena if you also want to catch a hockey game or concert.

For an Eating Experience that Exudes Elegance:

Brasserie Liberté

The architecture and interior of this restaurant is gorgeous. The indoor dining area looks classy and chic yet still fun and playful, accompanied by a beautiful bar area and a dreamy outdoor seating area accessorized with an array of string lights. The color palettes and decor are truly stunning. If you’re looking for an excuse to dress up with friends and eat some great food, consider this your excuse. The cuisine is French, so a visit to this restaurant is my temporary replacement for my dream French vacation. It goes without saying, but the food is delicious. My menu recommendations include the seared salmon, the chocolate mousse cake and the Pot de Crème au Chocolate. The raspberry sauce on their chocolate mousse cake is the perfect complement to the chocolate. The food is divine, yet the prices aren’t too rough for a college student’s budget. 

For Just Dessert:

Laudurée (another French pick)

I do not think I have ever visited Georgetown without leaving with some macarons from Ladurée. The cafe is glamorous, with the walls lined with towering, colorful dessert boxes. From its impressive chandeliers to ornate bouquets of flowers, if there was one word I would use to describe how Ladurée looks it would be regal. Their coffee is a personal favorite of mine and it pairs perfectly with their light and bright macarons that come in a variety of flavors. My typical order includes at least one rose flavored macaron. It’s so delicate and tastes so perfectly sweet. In general, though, their macarons are truly exquisite. If the presentation of the desserts at Ladurée, especially the macaron towers, do not win you over, I do not know what will. 

Levain Bakery:

Another bakery that has my stamp of approval is Levain Bakery. Their cookies will ultimately change your cookie standards. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to cookies, but I love Levain Bakery’s as they are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Plus, the cookies are massive, so you totally get your money’s worth. I, for one, can appreciate an incredibly large cookie, and my favorite flavor would be the dark chocolate chocolate chip. While Levain is conveniently located right on the main street of Georgetown where most shops are located, I also have received a Levain gift package from a friend that was wonderful, so if you don’t want to take the trip, perhaps consider ordering some cookies for delivery. If you do go in person, you will be greeted with one of the cutest bakeries I have been to. It looks clean and colorful with the white and midnight blue coloring and natural light that streams through the bakery. It’s hard to miss the white bricks of Levain Bakery on main street and the golden letters (which are almost as golden as their recipes). 

Baked and Wired

We couldn’t discuss Georgetown food, let alone Georgetown dessert, without talking about cupcakes. There are plenty of stellar options in Georgetown to get cupcakes, and the long lines for them are only the proof. As for me, I am most partial to Baked and Wired’s cupcakes. I am a fan of their generous frosting and fun flavors. For anecdotal support, my best friend is an aficionado for German chocolate cake and cupcakes, and when I gifted her a German chocolate cupcake from Baked and Wired after a long day of studying, the cupcake was met with rave reviews while I was met with glowing thanks. All of their cupcake flavors are conveniently on display in their bakery. Be sure to take note of all the unique flavor names marked with creative signage. The place is trendy yet quaint, and easily accessible from the main street of Georgetown. If you’re willing to brave the line, definitely give Baked and Wired cupcakes a taste while on your next visit to Georgetown. 

Georgetown may be known for its shops, but you should not overlook the food scene. After all, if shopping is your cardio, you’ll need fuel. To me, the most important thing to remember when choosing a restaurant is that a restaurant can be a backdrop for memories. From a birthday dinner with everyone you love, to a post-breakup comfort cupcake run. From a much-needed coffee recharge session during finals season, to a sleepy Sunday brunch after a fun Saturday night out. The foods you eat and the places you eat them could be key features of some precious moments and memories.

Kayla Conroy

Maryland '25