Racks of secondhand clothing at Uptown Cheapskate\'s College Park location
Original photo by Aubrey Decker
Style > Fashion

Sustainably Styled: Fashion That Looks Good On You AND The Planet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Article by aubrey decker

Stores like Shein and FashionNova make it possible to find trendy clothing at low prices and promote larger orders. While this feels convenient in the moment, rampant consumerism and fast fashion can have long-lasting effects on the environment. 

Fashion focused on rapid and large-scale production of clothing to make trends easily accessible and affordable to consumers is considered fast fashion. With trends changing by the week there often is pressure to keep up with what’s “in,” which can lead to overbuying and under-wearing clothes. Online shopping makes it even easier to place bulk orders that aren’t sustainable. 

According to the Geneva Environment Network, people bought 60% more clothes between 2000 and 2014, but kept clothes for only half as long. When demand increases for products, the supply must too and the environmental impacts of large-scale production are significant. 

The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe noted that 85% of textiles end up in landfills every year. This influx of both fashion production and fashion waste contributes to water pollution, the complete depletion of water sources, and 10% of global carbon emissions.  

It can feel daunting taking on a large-scale issue like consumerism or sustainability on the individual level but there are steps we can take to practice sustainable shopping.

UTILIZE SUSTAINABLE CLOTHING STORES

Second-hand clothing stores give old pieces new life. Donating to and shopping at second-hand stores are great sustainable shopping practices. Gently used clothing can be bought at reduced prices without sacrificing quality. Luckily for students at the University of Maryland, there’s a great second-hand store right here in College Park. 

Liz Butler, owner and manager of the Uptown Cheapskate located on Baltimore Avenue, describes her store as, a resale clothing store for young adults,” with 200-400 pieces of new inventory coming in daily. Uptown Cheapskate buys used clothing and sells a wide variety of name-brand apparel for less than retail price. 

Butler explained that the store cannot buy or sell fast fashion brands such as Pretty Little Thing, Shein and FashionNova, but as the popularity of these brands increases so does the number of pieces brought into the store, which they have to deny.

Sustainable fashion relies on reusing clothing meaning the condition and quality of the product can be a major issue. Online resale shopping can lead to problems with misleading photos or product information, so Butler recommends doing your second-hand shopping in person. Finding second-hand stores you love and frequenting them can ensure you are getting the most out of your money and time. 

SHOP FOR MORE THAN ONE OCCASION

Whether it’s Halloween or a themed party, it can be tempting to spend money on a costume you will probably only wear once. Instead of buying a premade costume, try using color schemes and clothing styles to replicate the look you’re going for. Finding pieces that you can rewear year-round is a great way to stretch your budget and increase sustainability. 

SEEK OUT STAPLE PIECES

A good staple piece of clothing is re-wearable and versatile. Before committing to a purchase, consider what you already own and how you could style different pieces throughout your wardrobe. What colors do you wear often? What styles are you most comfortable in? When you shop with a complementary mindset, keeping what you already own and love in mind, it can help you pick pieces that will go with multiple outfits and maximize your options. Wearing the same pieces in different ways can often make it feel like you own more than you do.

SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

Swapping outfits or pieces with your friends is a great way to try out new styles or trends without having to buy something new. Consider organizing a swap or trade day by gathering a few friends and pieces you’re not loving at the moment, and trade.