Super Bowl Ads: The Best and Worst of Super Bowl LVIII

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Not only does the Super Bowl draw football fans – and this year Swifties –  but many tune in just for the highly anticipated commercials that air throughout the entire game. This year, a thirty second commercial cost $7 million, on average, according to CBS News. With this amount of money being spent on a short snippet of advertisement time, this year’s commercials were expected to be the best ads of the year. Here are the best and worst ads of Super Bowl LVIII.

BEST:

1. Google Pixel 8

Once again, Google gave us an emotional ad that highlighted the importance of how technology affects the lives of its users. The advertisement told a story through the perspective of a sight-impaired person who struggles to take photos, but, with the help of Google Guided Frame, an artificial intelligence-powered feature, he is able to capture special moments in life. Not only did this segment grab viewers’ attention, it also told a story that makes viewers reflect on their relationship with technology and the ways it can help people in many different ways.

1. CeraVe

The CeraVe commercial provided a good laugh as Michael Cera claimed “Cera-Ve” as his. He could not believe how soft his skin was, even receiving a compliment from a dolphin on how moisturized his skin appeared to be. The advertisement ended with a reminder that CeraVe is made with dermatologist insight, not Michael Cera. Viewers raved about his cameo on social media claiming it to be one of the smartest partnerships in awhile.

1. Verizon

The Verizon commercial features Beyonce attempting to break the company’s network as she opens up a lemonade stand. She is simultaneously a game streamer under the name IamSlayonce, creates BeyoncAI, Bar-Bey, runs for BOTUS (Beyonce of the United States) and performs in space. While all of these blow up the internet, the Verizon network stays strong. She is never able to break the network, but the combination of intelligent names and slogans intrigued viewers and provided good entertainment. 

WORST:

1. Temu

Temu, a Chinese owned company that provides low-cost goods, aired the same commercial multiple times throughout the game. The advertisement, a cartoon with a jingle about being able to shop like a billionaire on Temu, faced a lot of backlash. Many highlighted the annoying repetition of the commercial while others claimed it was misleading. Temu has previously been involved in controversy for being unreliable and stealing personal information, so, after three Super Bowl ads, it seemed everyone had enough.

1. He Gets Us

In an attempt to reference Jesus and Mary Magdalene, people were depicted washing others’ feet through the entirety of the commercial. At the end, the statements, “He washed feet. He gets us. Jesus.” appear on the screen. ‘He Gets Us’ ads are sponsored by a group named Come Near, a religious organization attempting to spread the, “life and love of Jesus.” Not only did the concept leave viewers confused, but many felt that the Super Bowl is not the place for religious ads.

1. American Values 

Alongside He Gets Us, viewers felt the Super Bowl was not the place for the American Values commercial. It used clips and slogans relating to former President John F. Kennedy to promote his nephew Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s candidacy. Members of the Kennedy family took to social media calling out the ad for superimposing the former president as a way to promote the candidacy, resulting in an apology from Kennedy Jr. the following morning. 

With a nail biting game, exciting half-time performance and overall successful advertisements, Super Bowl 58 had something for everyone.

Abby Sanders

Maryland '27

I grew up in Granville, Ohio but now attend University of Maryland as a freshman. Throughout high school, I participated in my school's journalism program where I was the chief sports writer. I also was a four-year member of the tennis team and a captain during my senior season. I graduated with honors and was in the top ten percent for my year. Some of my passions include traveling, working out, baking, and reading. Israel is my favorite country I have visited, but I also have loved my time in Peru, England, the Netherlands, and France. I attended a semester abroad in Israel during my junior year as well as a meaningful Holocaust education trip to Poland and Israel during my senior year. I love learning about new cultures and meeting people from all over the world. During high school I worked at Palumbo's Italian Market where I helped cook and cater events including weddings and private dinners. I also babysit and worked as a teacher's aid at my synagogue's Sunday school. At the University of Maryland, I am majoring in Chemical Engineering with a minor in Hebrew. I am a member of the club tennis team, Engineers Without Borders and an active member in Hillel.