Student Reactions to Seth Meyers Coming to UMD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The popular sketch comedy Saturday Night Live is in its 37th season. While UMD students may be hours away from the filming location of the show in New York City, students now have the chance to see the head writer of the show perform at Stamp on March 14.

Seth Meyers, a Saturday Night Live comedian known for his news-parody Weekend Segment, is headlining this year’s Student Entertainment Events’ Spring Comedy Show. The production will be held at the Stamp’s Grand Ballroom at 8:00 p.m.

The $10 student tickets were sold at Hoff Theater on February 17 starting at 12:00 p.m., and were sold out on its first day of sales by about 2:15 p.m.

Sophomore journalism major Krista Stucchio decided to get tickets for the show after a friend in New York persuaded her to go. “I’m not the biggest SNL fan, but I am in love with his SNL segment,” Stucchio said. “My friend in New York waited for SNL tickets for hours, and she convinced me that it was worth it to go see Seth Meyers.”

Stucchio was determined to get to the line before 12:00. She thought that coming at 11:30 would be early enough.

“I got there 30 minutes before tickets were being sold, and I thought I would be the first one, but I was wrong because the line wrapped around Stamp and went upstairs,” Stucchio said.

After waiting in line for an hour and a half, Stucchio was one of the lucky ones to receive tickets before they sold out.

Freshman English major Almendrita Vergara predicted that the student ticket line would be extremely long, especially since the event was taking place at the Grand Ballroom, a small venue.

“I got to the line at 9:30, and received tickets in about an hour,” Vergara said. “It was worth the wait!”

However, Vergara does not understand why SEE would want to hold the comedy show at the Grand Ballroom after Mac Miller performed there in September. Mac Miller, an up-and-coming rapper, has music that is popular among college audiences. Many UMD students complained that Mac Miller’s performance should have been held at a larger on-campus venue, like Cole Field House.

“I don’t know why they are doing the same thing again,” Vergara said. “Seth Meyers is a well-known comedian that lots of students would be interested in seeing.”

According to SEE’s website, because of production costs and past feedback about venue sizes for past events, SEE will stream the performance live video at Hoff Theater for ticketless students for free.

“Although I still disagree with the selection of venue, I do think that it is a great idea to do something for students who were unable to get tickets,” Vergara said.

So if you are one of the many students that could not get tickets, head to Hoff Theater on March 14! Just make sure that you get there well before 8:00 p.m. – entrance to the theater is first-come, first-serve.