Spring Break: So Little Time with So Many Choices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With so little time off during the spring semester, most students on the Maryland campus count down the days until spring break. Having a total of 9 days off affords students the time to consider a ton of different options.

StudentCity is a well-known company to travel with for spring break. This year many students are traveling through this company to Cancun.  This is the “typical” spring break that comes to mind when most people think about college spring break.

(Photos credited to Danielle Bauer) 

Students stay at an all-inclusive hotel and during the day StudentCity plans parties on the beach including all different DJs and contests ending with prizes such as VIP bottle service or restaurant gift cards. After a nap and a quick dinner, students head to town to spend the night at the different clubs where StudentCity hosts parties such as Dady’O, Bulldog and Senor Frog’s.

“I’m really excited to be going away for spring break,” explained sophomore biology major, Gabrielle Auerbach, when asked about her upcoming trip to Cancun. “I’m looking forward to hanging out and relaxing with my friends.”

However, this seven-day, slightly chaotic trip isn’t for everyone and some people venture a little less south to spend one weekend of break in Miami for Ultra Music Festival.

Ultra Music Festival is an annual outdoor electronic music festival held in March in Miami’s Bicentennial Park. What started out as a one-day concert has grown to become a 3-day concert and one of the highest grossing music festivals in the world.

With three full days of music, some of the amazing artists joining the line-up this year are Tiesto, Pretty Lights, Avicii, Bassnectar and David Guetta.

Alyssa Bonventure, a sophomore communications major, attended Ultra last year and doesn’t have a negative thing to say about it. “If you have a passion for music the way I do then Ultra in Miami is definitely the way to go,” Bonventure said. “You get to meet tons of other music fans and really immerse yourself in the beats. Definitely an unforgettable weekend.”

For those who are willing to give back to the community instead of rest and relax for the break, they will be traveling on one of the alternative spring break trips to New Orleans through Maryland Hillel’s Repair the World program.

This program allows students to immerse themselves in new cultures and communities to help give back and change different areas in the world.