Spirit of Maryland Winner, Stephanie Graf

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The 2013 Spirit of Maryland award winner is as smart as she is stunning. Meet Stephanie Graf, a senior finance and marketing major from Baltimore, MD who already has a job lined up when she graduates at Deloitte, a consulting firm.

The Spirit of Maryland is awarded to a male and female student who exhibits strong scholarship, leadership, and communication skills, and has a strong moral character.  It is equivalent to the title of Homecoming Queen.  

The process to the title involves a nomination, essays, and interviews until being whittled down to a top five.  From there, faculty members chose a male and a female who they feel embodies an ideal student, the Spirit of Maryland. To qualify, students must be a senior and have at least a 3.0 GPA.

The winners got their names on a plaque in the Stamp Student Union, a plaque to keep, and a ring from Balfour. This year, BCBGeneration also gifted the female winner a dress and a photoshoot.

“I bleed red, black, white, and gold,” said Stephanie as she explained why she thinks she is the Spirit of Maryland “Everything I do is for the benefit of Maryland. I throw myself at every opportunity.”

On campus, Stephanie is involved in numerous leadership positions in student organizations that serve to benefit other students as President of Omicron Delta Kappa national leadership society and Co-president of the Sports Business Society. In addition, Stephanie is on the Dean Student Advisory Council for the Smith School of Business. Also, she has been involved with club volleyball since she was a freshman as an outside hitter.

In high school, Stephanie was on track to go to the junior Olympics for volleyball, but she decided to attend Maryland after she received a full academic merit scholarship.  

“I came to Maryland because I knew it was a place where I would always be challenged, engaged, and motivated,” Stephanie said. “Maryland’s opportunities are boundless, and I constantly hear about projects and organizations that spark a new passion in me. We’re in DC’s back yard, we’re taught by gifted scholars, and we’re united as one Maryland, 30,000 strong.”

Stephanie has most definitely taken advantage of the resources around her, and it has culminated in a legacy that will live on after she graduates.

Stephanie stands out among her peers because she words hard to be a leader and make a positive difference in the community. She wants her legacy to be that everyone knows that she worked to project the student voice, and make sure it is heard. “Opinions have value. Be empowered to speak up!” exclaimed Stephanie.  

Her advice to others is simply: Don’t let anything stop you. Be confident in who you are. Don’t second guess yourself, and smile!

Stephanie’s biggest collegiate accomplishment is becoming president of ODK because it is an acknowledgement of being a leader among the university’s premier leaders.  “It’s about the unity and strength that one person can make,” she said.

The win against Duke in basketball last spring is Stephanie’s favorite UMD memory to date. “It was an incredible feeling of Maryland pride. There was so much energy when everyone rushed the court,” reminisced Stephanie.  Yet, she still has Calvert Cotillion and graduation day to look forward too as well as Maryland’s last year in the ACC.

Stephanie finds time management to be a key skill in balancing her commitments. “I make sure to pencil in time for me to relax and hang out with friends. If you prioritize, plan early, and stay focused, you can accomplish anything and be happy doing so,” said Stephanie.

In her spare time, Stephanie loves playing the piano, singing karaoke, especially the ever popular Spice Girl’s song, Wannabe, painting her nails (with Essie polish) and cheering on her Orioles and Ravens.

Fashion and dressing well is a huge part of Stephanie’s life. “You need to represent yourself by your words and what you wear,” she said. “Always wear what someone above you in your career might wear.

Stephanie described her style as a mix of the girl-next-door and city-chic. “I’m a fan of leather. A leather jacket goes with everything!” Stephanie exclaimed. 

To brace for the cold weather of our photoshoot, Stephanie tossed on a grey leather moto jacket, which definitely gave her some street style! 

And for shoes, Stephanie loves her pointed toe shoes because they show you’re in charge.  “Round toed shoes are boring,” Stephanie chided. “The pointed toe gives off the look of being edgy and daring.”

Overall, Stephanie embodies the BCBGeneration motto of Bon Chic Bon Genre, Good Style Good Attitude as she struts her best foot forward in her new BCBGeneration dress and her positive, ambitious outlook on life.

Get to Know Stephanie:

Favorite College Park Hangout: Applebee’s karaoke night

Favorite Study Space: Van Munching Hall

Favorite T.V. Show: Friends

Favorite Movie: The Holiday

Favorite Food:  Tacos

Favorite place to travel: London and New York City

Song Stuck in her head: “Love Me Again” by John Newman

Style Inspirations: Jennifer Aniston and Blake Lively

Favorite Store: New York And Company

If you want Stephanie’s dress for yourself, you can buy it here

Hair and Make up by Valeria Stevenson

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.