Culture > Digital

Social media fatigue: what it is and how to treat it without a detox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“I entirely replaced my personal trainer with AI after it scanned my body,” an ad screamed at me as a girl showed off her weight loss on TikTok.

“DC math is when you get a chicken and waffles tower plus a spritz tree to equal one hell of a boozy brunch,” a trendy foodie spot claimed on Instagram.

“If you’re a girl, then you need to stop scrolling,” a TikToker ordered me before sharing a supposedly “life-changing” life hack.

These are three real things I heard while scrolling through TikTok. Social media is meant to be a place to connect and, for many, it’s a place they turn to when they need to relax. But what happens when you become exhausted by it?

Social media fatigue is defined by The National Institute of Health as the feeling of information overload as a product of overconsumption of social media.

When experiencing social media fatigue, one solution could be a detox. My fellow journalism majors know this is simply not possible, as social media is a valuable tool in our work. Additionally, I find joy and comfort in knowing what my friends, family and, admittedly, my favorite celebrities are up to. 

Here are some steps that can be taken to combat social media fatigue without a full-fledged detox:

Remove social media apps from home screen

For me, the first step toward using social media less was removing the apps from my phone’s home screen. This has since prevented me from clicking on these apps as soon as I turn on my device. If you really want to limit your app use, you can delete the apps entirely and only allow yourself to access them from a secondary device such as an iPad or laptop.

Set time limits on apps

Three years ago, I set a 15 minute limit on my TikTok, Instagram and Twitter. Every fifteen minutes of me using those apps, my screen goes blank and I can either close the app, add an additional 15 minutes of screen time or ignore the limit for the rest of the day.

I am not going to claim that I only use these apps for 15 minutes every day, because I don’t. However, this notification gives me a reality check. If I have added another 15 minutes twice, maybe it is time to put the phone down. Adding time limits on apps has stopped me from doomscrolling for hours.

Immediately skip ads or sponsored content

In my opinion, one of the most exhausting parts of social media is constantly being sold something or being told to change my habits. When I encounter a video that seems like it is trying to get me to change my behavior, I try to scroll away immediately. This is helpful, as I don’t feel like I need to change my life to tailor to what people online are telling me to do.

Engage in authentic social media

Over the past few months, I have downloaded apps that help me connect with people in a different way. One of the most popular is BeReal, an app that prompts users to take one photo at a different time each day. This app allows me to keep up with my friends without having to keep a conversation or curate a feed. I am also a fan of Pinterest and Goodreads.

My new favorite app is Airbuds, which can connect to your favorite music streaming service and shows you what your friends are listening to at any time. You can send reactions and messages, or view your streaming habits. This app helps my friends and I engage with each other in a different way and share new music.

Take advantage of “Do Not Disturb”

Apple’s Do Not Disturb feature is extremely helpful for someone who, like me, gets distracted by notifications on my phone. Most of the time, I have my phone only display text message and phone call notifications so I am not prompted to click on a notification for a social media app every time I open my phone. Another way to go is to turn off notifications for social media apps entirely.

By applying some of these tips to your own life, I hope that you are able to break some troublesome social media habits.

Abby Olear is from Delran, New Jersey and is majoring in journalism and minoring in Spanish at the University of Maryland. She is a staff writer and a Assistant Audience Engagement Editor for UMD's Her Campus chapter. Abby is excited to gain more journalistic experience and explore her passions through Her Campus!