Soak Up The Last Drops of Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As summer winds down, it’s crucial to soak up every last minute of relaxation. But don’t go all eager beaver and try to cram in everything you wish you had done by now. The key to getting the best out of the last few weeks of summer is by picking and choosing. Here are some tips and suggestions to making the most of your time and creating the best possible summer memories.

1) Head To The Beach
An impromptu beach weekend get-a-way is the perfect opportunity to soak up those dwindling summer rays. See if you and your girls can go in together and book a small hotel room for the weekend at your local hot sand hot spot. Bring some sleeping bags because packing the room full is the best way to save money.

2) Read A Book
Remember that juicy summer read you said you would find time for? Yeah, well, summer is almost over and it’s still sitting there collecting dust. So make time to read a novel. Wake up twenty minutes early, or carve out some time before you turn out the lights. It gives you the opportunity to unwind and stimulate your brain. Consider it a good way to get yourself back in gear for scanning literature come school time.

3) Indulge In A Treat
Nothing screams summer like a trip for ice cream. Make it Rita’s, Cold Stone or local frozen yogurt, it doesn’t even matter. Take a car full of friends and pick up a cool summer time treat. Make sure to roll down the windows and blast some Katy Perry on the way there, why the heck not?

4) Plan A Dinner
Whether you’re a city mouse or a country mouse there’s no doubt you have territory un-explored in your area. Get a group or just your guy and head to a local eatery that you have yet to try. Exploring together is a great way to bond and find a new favorite spot. If you feel like pinching pennies, invite friends over for an outdoor potluck. Send out a group text or Facebook message and let everyone decide what to bring! The more girls, the more food, the merrier!

5) Take Pictures
This might seem like an easy suggestion, but taking pictures is a great way to document and later enjoy your last summertime memories. Snap photos of you and your friends at the beach, eating fro-yo or out to dinner. Later you can make a min-collage or frame your favorite ones. Knowing you’ll have those memories forever is an easy way to enjoy the moments making them.