Single for the Holidays: Grab your cats and get cozy, it’s cold out there ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Reminder to everyone living under a finals rock: it’s holiday season! People love the holidays for a plethora of reasons. You’ve got the gift givers, the gift receivers, the decorators, the carolers (go away), the secret santas, the Chanuka candles. All the festivities really put people in a romantic, loving mood. And then there’s me all like I could go for another donut, please and thank you. And that’s good too.
            Now I know at this point many of you are probably like oh poor girl, it’s going to get better, I promise. From experience, I can tell you people get mighty sad for the single gals out there this time of year. But I’m not writing this because I want a pity party. I honestly enjoy certain aspects of being single. We’ve got cats over here, everyone!

A favorite single person activity I make sure to heavily partake in is watching a marathon of holiday movies. You know what I’ve learned from this endeavor? I’ve learned that holiday movies are horrendous. Like really, really bad. They generally have the same plot: a few guest appearances by Santa, snow, love, easy to predict happy endings. And yet they are just so soul-warmingly addicting. I like to marathon alone. I get to choose the movies, watch them back to back, and get this weird wintertime ritual overwith sans embarrassment.
            For the broke singles out there, let’s all count our blessings at having one less person to gift to. Don’t get me wrong, I really love giving gifts. It’s so much easier than receiving gifts. I’m generally already excited about whatever I’m gifting so the moment is authentic and never part of the awkward “oh I love it…but what is it?” crowd. But I’m a student. A broke, minimum wage earning, student. I’d feel pretty horrible if I was in a relationship and all I could get my boyfriend was a pair of socks. I’d be welcomed back into the land of cat gifs with open arms though.

I also enjoy long walks on the beach and stargazing and…sorry, wrong article. Back to being single. It’s nice to have time for yourself. This is a busy time of year that should be spent appreciating all of the beautiful people in your life, regardless of your relationship status. Being single gives me time to reflect on my other relationships. I appreciate my parents for working tirelessly to provide for me. I appreciate my older sister for being my role model. And for being my brilliant co-mastermind throughout our childhoods. I appreciate my quirky friends for being hilarious and amazing. I appreciate that they enjoy, or at least put up with, my unique brand of quirkiness.
            Disclaimer: Things are about to get sappy. Major lovefest time. I might be forced to throw in a cliché.

I’m thankful for my experiences. I’m thankful for the sweet Chanuka memories I made this year. I’m thankful for more than the donuts and latkes, although those were great accompaniments to my finals study schedule. I’m so thankful for all of the brilliant lights of family and friendship surrounding me everyday. And for the Chanuka candles that can brighten any mood. I’m thankful for many things, including the time I have to be all self-reflective.

I would like to add that I don’t actually like cats very much, but if you do, you should be thankful for them. Give your loved ones hugs to say thanks (especially if you’re broke, I hear hugs are free) and don’t forget to be jolly all year round.