Safety for Women On and Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It may seem that at a college surrounded by thousands of students, walking back from class late or home from the bars alone does not make you vulnerable to much danger. However, women need to be aware of their susceptibility as victims during these times, both on and off campus.

It is not always easy to know how to protect yourself from scenarios you feel could never happen to you. Most know the obvious; don’t walk home alone at night, lock your doors, and don’t go home with strangers. Many women feel it is also beneficial to carry some form of protection with them, like pepper spray.

However, public information officer Mark Limansky of the University of Maryland Department of Public Safety and University Police advised to make sure you know how to use that certain form of protection. “If carrying a weapon, it can always be taken from you and used against you,” he said.

Limansky also advised to take personal defense classes and always use the buddy system. As a woman, knowing how to physically protect and defend yourself is very important. Additionally, when going out at night, always stick with your group of friends. Leaving with someone you do not know always poses a threat.

Pictured below, sophomore business major Alie Rothman, 19, said, “I make sure to go out with a bunch of people I know and trust, so that I can ensure that I will get home later that night.”

And if you don’t live with the friends you went out with that night, call them and make sure they made it home safely. “Each friend should count as an accountability person,” Limansky said.

Another factor greatly affecting women is the overindulgence of alcohol. In this state, judgment is lessened and awareness is dull. As Limansky mentioned, everyone has the ability to naturally distinguish when there is a dangerous situation, but under the influence of alcohol, this ability is not recognizable.

Women are most vulnerable in this state of mind and predators lurk on this observation. That is when they are most likely to strike, especially if a woman is alone. What most students at UMD call the “College Park Cuddler” is actually referred to as a sexual deviant by the police, and he receives satisfaction from preying on these women.

The “Cuddler,” though given a light-hearted name, has so far this year been accused of three fourth-degree sex offense incidents in one night, according to UMPD. Blatantly, he fondles girls in their sleep, and this is the first year an incident like this has occurred on on-campus housing like Leonardtown, pictured below.

In this type of situation, Limansky stressed to not second-guess yourself and report the happening right away. This way, police can better collect evidence and start looking for him at that moment. It is vital to be aware of this because as Limansky said, “I think he’s going to want to do it again, he has this desire that wants to be fulfilled and this is the way he gets it. He has the potential to escalate.“

However, for women who live directly on campus, danger isn’t as potent. When asked if recent events have caused safety to be a larger concern, senior Lyndsey Keyte, 21, a psychology and criminal justice major said, “No not really. I think where I live and the campus is well lit so I feel safe.”

Officers have been doing their part and heavily populating certain areas at night. Though there is no way to determine where danger will occur next, there is 60 officers on patrol at all times, making this area one of the most heavily controlled in the county. Below is the police station that’s keeping us safe:

Finally, it is crucial for woman and all students to pay attention to the UMD crime alerts. Under the Clery Act, universities have to disclose incidents that pose a possible threat or danger, and students need to take advantage of this. “Our primary goal is for people to be aware and take necessary steps for safety,” Limansky said. Being aware is the first step to knowing how to stay safe.