Popcorn Read: Intersectional Feminist Films to Enjoy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

For many Her Campus readers, Legally Blonde is the ultimate feminist film.  Elle Woods wears pink and her makeup is always on point.  Nonetheless, she breaks through stereotypes about sorority girls and proves that you can be pretty and smart.  Many of our readers identify with this image, and I certainly do not disagree.  Like many of you, I like to do my hair and makeup, while priding myself on my academic excellence.

However, feminism is more than a privileged, beautiful blonde girl achieving success in law school.  True feminism extends to all types of women across demographics. This type of feminism is referred to as intersectional feminism and is an increasingly important movement in today’s society where race is such an issue. The following films are standouts that highlight diversity among strong female characters that you will definitely enjoy.

(Disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting that you should not enjoy Legally Blonde or any movies similar to it, but rather that you should merely diversify the feminist films you watch.)

1. Whale Rider: This movie centers around a young Maori girl, Pai, who hopes to claim her birthright as a chief, even though only men can technically assume this role in the tribe.  With the help of her uncle and grandmother, Pai works to convince her very traditional grandfather that she can be chief.

2. Princess and the Frog: This animated Disney film is most likely well-known among Her Campus readers.  Tiana, a waitress from New Orleans who hopes of opening a restaurant, explores the Louisiana bayou with a prince, while maintaining her independence and demonstrating her strength of character.

3. In the Time of Butterflies: This film, based on the book by Julia Alvarez, is a fictionalized version of the real-life Dominican revolutionaries the Mirabal sisters.  In the time of Trujillo, these women are at the center of the rebellion against this awful dictator.

4. Snowflower and the Secret Fan: This film highlights the power of female friendship.  Snowflower and her best friend, Lily, are two Chinese women who communicate via Nu shu, a women’s writing of the time.  Their story is juxtaposed with the story of Nina and Sophia, modern Chinese women who are navigating their friendship and womanhood.

5. Persepolis: Don’t be fooled by the fact that this film is animated—Persepolis is a dark film about a girl growing up in Iran during a revolution, her reactions to the revolution, and her strength.

Bonus: No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency

This one technically isn’t a movie, but rather a miniseries about two women who open a detective agency in Botswana.  Nonetheless, it is a fantastic experience for everyone to watch.

So here’s to expanding our perspectives of feminism and happy viewing!

Courtney Steininger is a senior English major, who is currently serving as the Profile's Editor for HerCampus-University of Maryland Chapter.  She firmly believes in the power of the written word to empower women and help them to become better versions of themselves.