Phi Sigma Sigma’s Nic at Nite Philanthropy Event Helps Honor a Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Phi Sigma Sigma held its fourth annual “Nic at Nite” philanthropy event on April 15 at the Alpha Xi Delta house to help raise money for the Nicole Shiffman Scholarship Foundation. This event included a raffle, vendors and some delicious food.

This philanthropy event began after Phi Sig tragically lost one of its sisters five years ago. Nicole Shiffman was a member of the Beta Alpha chapter and this scholarship was implemented in her honor.

This foundation is a non-profit organization with the goal to reach out to troubled youth and also communicate a message of non-violence. The scholarship that the money also goes to is awarded to a sister who embodies what Schiffman stood for herself- sisterhood, friendship and community service involvement.

Along with a raffle including two tickets to a Giants game, an iPod shuffle and many more wonderful prizes, Phi Sig had many vendors come and sell their products with 10 percent of the proceeds going to the scholarship fund. Some of the vendors who donated their time to this worthy cause were Donni Charm, Lacey Kaye and Unreal Boutique, among others.

The event was run by one of the sisters of Phi Sig, sophomore kinesiology major Casey Rosen. Rosen explained that through this event the chapter raised upwards of $2,000, with more money from the chapter being donated to the foundation as well.

“This year we started planning Nic at Nite far in advance, so the planning wasn’t too overwhelming,” Rosen explained. “I had a lot of help with the event and everything went very smoothly! The turn out was great and I think everyone had a lot of fun!”

Other members of Phi Sig also think the event was a great success and we’re glad to see such a great turnout this year.

Junior broadcast journalism major, Lauren Holstein said “I think it’s great that we’re keeping the memory of a sister alive. It’s a fun event and the proceeds go towards helping other people.”

Another Phi Sig member, sophomore international business major Jessica Bramnick, thought that the event went off without a hitch. “It’s great to come together as the sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma to put on this event that people enjoy and also helps raise money for the scholarship fund,” Bramnick said.