This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Looking for an exciting class to take next semester or  to satisfy an upper level elective credit? Look no further than our list of the best UMD electives straight from testudo!

1. ENGL375: J.R.R. Tolkien: Middle-earth and Beyond – If you’re a fan of the Lord of the Rings, this is the perfect English class for you. Take an in-depth look at the major themes and motifs in J.R.R. Tolkien’s works. Study the impact Tolkien had on the fantasy genre both within literature and film. Learn more about how the fantasy novels came to be adapted to the big budget movies.
  2. CLAS170: Ancient Myths and Modern Lives – This is a classics class that explores Greek and Roman myths. If you have ever wanted to learn more about Greek and Roman mythology, this class is perfect. Learn more about the ancient myths and how they shaped ancient societies. Explore how ancient myths continue to influence modern literature. Get ready to read some classic works, including Ovid’s Metamorphoses.
  3. WGSS290: Bodies in Contention – A Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies class about how our view of our bodies has been shaped by cultural ideas of race, sex and sexuality. Explore how our views of gendered bodies have evolved throughout time. If you’re interested in feminist theory this might be the class for you!
  4. BSCI135: Amazing Green: Plants that Transformed the World – If you’re interested in science, food or both this class would be the perfect addition for your schedule. Learn about the science behind our food and how plants have shaped human history. If you are looking to satisfy a natural lab credit, this class is the perfect option for non-science majors.
  5. ENGL154: Race, Children’s Television, and the Legacies of Jim Henson – How does children’s television influence how kids think about race? This english course will focus on representations of race in children’s television starting in the founding of the animation industry 1910s to Sesame Street. What did children learn about race from the Saturday Morning Cartoon Lineup? See representation evolves from the beginning stages of animation to computer-generated images and memes we see today. Students will have the opportunity to create a puppet as a final project.
  6. ARTH201: Art and Society in the West from the Renaissance to the Present – If you love walking around museums with friends, an Art History class might be the perfect addition to your schedule. Explore American and European art from the Middle Ages to modern times in this class. This class is a great chance to learn about how artistic tradition has evolved throughout time.
  7. MUSC205: History of Popular Music, 1950-Present – This is the perfect class for anyone who loves music. Learn about what musical history reveals about our social history, and how popular music reflects modern social movements. 
  8. ENGL272: Writing Fiction: A Beginning Workshop – If you’re interested in writing or just want a fun class where you can relax and write, an introduction to writing fiction is the perfect addition to your schedule. Flex your creative side and write some short stories.
  9. HIST134: Spies, Assassins, Martyrs, and Witches: Famous Trials in American History – This exciting history class looks at famous trials through American history to learn more about the larger social and political movements throughout history. Learn the ins and outs of some of history’s most prolific cases, from the Salem Witch Trials to the Trial of the Chicago 7.
Lucy Hubbard

Maryland '24

Senior at the University of Maryland's Philip Merrill College of Journalism