Parent’s Weekend-Where To Eat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Are your parents attending Family Weekend? Do you want to show off all the great places within walking distance? If so, I’ve compiled my top 5 favorite restaurants to eat. Because what’s better than family and good food?

The Bagel Place

Where: 7423 Baltimore Ave. College Park, MD 20740

During move-in day freshmen year I was introduced to The Bagel Place. It was an early Wednesday morning, I did not want to say goodbye to my parents and I was also incredibly hungry. The Bagel Place not only filled my stomach with a delicious vegetarian-friendly bagel sandwich, but the warm and cheerful atmosphere made me more comfortable with the idea of finally living on my own. I will go to The Bagel Place in the mornings and look through the many options of bagels and other menu options. The coffee bar is also a fun section to try out.  They are surely not going to disappoint. The restaurant not only appeals to college students but also pulls in locals who appreciate our college-town staple.

Busboys and Poets

Where: 5331 Baltimore Ave, Hyattsville MD 20781

I doubt you can find a more artistically driven and vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurant than Busboys and Poets. Not only is the price within reason, their menu contains fresh nutrients and a number of delicious options for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I always go for the brunch, especially now, when it’s warm out and you can sit outside. The atmosphere feels personal with each piece of unique furniture adding to an eclectic environment. Despite not being directly beside the campus, this restaurant is pretty special because the next closet one is all the way in D.C. I’d say take advantage of Busboys and even attend an open mic night! I am always satisfied with the customer service and a scrumptious meal. If you can, I say try their sweet potato pancakes, they’re fluffy and lightly sweetened and I’m missing them already!  

Pho Thom

Where: 7313 Baltimore Ave. Ste F, College Park, MD 20740

I tried pho for the first time when I went out to eat with my friend and her parents and this restaurant keeps bringing me back! This is a great place to expand your palate and try Vietnamese. The noodles and soup combination is quite delicious and there’s a great menu to look through. But if you aren’t too into pho, the restaurant also offers Thai food as well. Regardless of your interest, this is a fun sit down restaurant that is within walking distance and too tasty to pass up.  

Potbelly Sandwich Shop

Where: 7422 Baltimore Ave. College Park, MD 20740

Potbelly’s is another restaurant with a great vibe, with antique furniture and delicious sandwiches. This is a place to go for lunch with the family! They toast their sandwiches to perfection and they even offer healthier options for those who want something with fewer calories. The people behind the counter tend to be friendly students with smiles that simply add more to a laidback environment.  I would also suggest trying their milkshakes that can rival Chick Fil A. To top it all off they add a cookie onto your straw for those with an extra sweet tooth, and if you’re not into ice cream try the smoothies. No matter what you get, I guarantee it’ll be a delicious lunch that can make you forget about the hot weather outside!

Ten Ren’s Tea Time

Where: 7418 Baltimore Ave. College Park, MD 20740

Want a place where Pop’s wallet won’t feel significantly less after the check comes in? I highly suggest Ten Ren’s. There’s a good selection of Chinese food and an even better selection of bubble tea. If you’ve never heard of bubble tea, the bubbles are made of licorice and shaped into little bowls at the bottom of your drink. I personally enjoy Thai Iced Tea because it’s amazing and everyone should try it, but the options are nearly endless.