Oscars Sunday- The Night’s Headliners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The 84th Academy Awards were off to a smashing start as tuxedo-clad actors and glamorously gowned actresses started arriving on the red carpet on Sunday evening. The night’s newsmakers were Octavia Spencer of “The Help”, Meryl Streep of “The Iron Lady,” and Sacha Baron Cohen?

Yes, you heard correct. The comedian was in full uniform and full character as “Admiral General Aladeen” from his movie, “The Dictator,” when he arrived on the Oscar’s red carpet. In his hands, he held an urn of what Cohen claims to be Kim Jong II’s ashes.

As a viewer of E! Red Carpet myself, I knew something was up when the notorious comic made his way towards Ryan Seacrest’s microphone. But never did I expect to see Cohen completely dump his urn full of ashes all over the show host’s tuxedo! It was actually quite funny to see Ryan Seacrest in utter shock and fully unprepared for this unexpected surprise.

“Live from the Red Carpet. Now you know this isn’t taped,” Seacrest concluded.

Once everyone was finally seated in the Kodak Theatre, host, Billy Crystal began the night’s commemoration to film. The Oscars’ first big award-winner was Octavia Spencer, who was nominated for Best Actress in a supporting role, as Minny, a sassy black maid, in the “The Help.” It’s safe to say that everyone in the audience was rooting for Spencer.

“Octavia Spencer did not see Hollywood’s biggest names leap to their feet when she was announced as Best Supporting Actress…Nor did she hear the thunderous applause that filled the El Captain Theatre as she made her way to the stage to accept Hollywood’s biggest award,” said Katie Kindelan of ABC News.

The actress’ reaction to this honor was completely priceless as she trembled, teared-up, and clutched her Oscar close to her chest.

Another big winner was Meryl Streep, who won Best Actress in a Leading Role for playing Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady.” No one could deny that they were happy for her. “Streep was…emotional, though self-deprecating and aware of her monument 17 nominations,” said Cara Kelly of The Washington Post.

“When they called my name I had this feeling I could hear half of America going ‘Oh no. Come on’…But whatever” Streep joked of her third win.

The Oscars’ biggest winner of the evening was “The Artist.” This black-and-white, silent film was somehow good enough to top “The Descendents,” “Hugo” and “The Help” for Best Film. I can’t say I’ve seen “The Artist.” And, as viewer who could only bear to watch the preview for a whopping 12 seconds, I can’t say I plan ever seeing it either.

After the movie’s big win, it will show in 2,000 theaters starting Friday, whereas last weekend it was only showing in 966 theaters. “It really is going to be a true test of what the statue means in terms of getting people into the theater for something that a lot of moviegoers are afraid of—black-and-white and silent, because to them, that sounds like a boring night at the movies,” said Phil Contrino editor of Boxoffice.com.