Guests painting at the art studio on Saturday, Feb 17.
Photo by Esha Bhatti
Culture > News

Oblivion Art House Provides Guests With A Creative Escape 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

This article was written by freelance writer Esha Batty

Friends and strangers gathered for the soft opening of Oblivion Art House in College Park last week. Participants painted neon murals and hummed along to the upbeat soundtrack playing overhead. 

Oblivion Art House is an art studio that re-established itself in College Park in April 2023 after formerly being located in Washington, D.C. Ushindi Spears, manager and art instructor at the studio, hopes the studio’s new location will bring in a younger audience as the University of Maryland is just a 20-minute walk away. 

“We’re just excited for the new venture that we’re on and just trying to get other people excited,” Spears said.

Upon arriving at the studio, guests will notice that Oblivion Art House, consistent with its name, is an actual single-family detached home. However, the “family” has been swapped out for artists new and seasoned who seek an escape from the hustle and bustle of the outside world. 

The living room is the heart of the art studio, with tables set up in rows so guests can  paint alongside their friends. The walls are lined with massive canvases painted by the studio’s art instructors. Where one would normally expect a fireplace, a projector screen displays the music selected for the theme of the event. If guests want some fresh air, they can choose to paint at the outdoor benches or on the front porch. 

Guests can choose from a variety of materials organized outside the kitchen. Spears explained that the studio’s move to College Park allowed the facilitators to improve the guest experience by providing materials besides paint for individuals to explore their creative power, such as stickers, googly eyes, glitter, and pom poms. 

Studio assistant Kamiah Dickerson began working at the studio in September 2023. Dickerson feels strongly about the impact of the studio, specifically noting its ability to build community by encouraging guests to make friends with one another and sharing art ideas. She also noted that part of the studio’s appeal lies in the absence of rules. 

“I feel like what makes us different is we allow you to freestyle,” Dickerson said.

Another Oblivion Art House art instructor, Christopher Mullins, says that the studio and the people he met while working there were what allowed him to work through the grief of his father’s death.  During this tough time, Mullins decided to reach out to Jennifer Lea, the founder of the local Facebook group  DMV Does for support. 

DMV Does helps adults within the region make social connections through game nights and wellness programs. Mullins learned about the studio and connected with Ushindi through DMV Does, and this connection ultimately led Mullins to his job at Oblivion Art House. 

“Ushindi… is a living gift that shows that my dad continually sticks out for me,” Mullins said.

Mullins says that his hardship and the life lessons that followed have helped him improve as an art instructor, as well. When guests at Oblivion Art House are not sure what to paint, Mullins helps them move forward by explaining his own technique: 

“I close my eyes. I envision where I’m currently at. Then, I start using the old noggin to imagine ‘how can I make this better?’ Once I get it, [the] possibilities are endless.”