Note Taking Know How: What Strategy Works Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Every time I sit down in a lecture hall and bring out my notebook and pen I wonder, am I the only person who still doesn’t type their notes?  In the sea of people using laptops, iPads, and tablets, I opt to write out all of my notes, regardless of the class.  Recently, I’ve been questioning, which method is best?

I can see the advantages of typing notes; after all I was the fastest typist in my middle school computer education class.  Some teachers put so much information on their PowerPoint slides that it is hard to write it all down without getting a hand cramp.  Between trying to get everything on paper and listen to the lecture all at once, writing notes can get messy.  Students agree, sophomore psychology major Talia Miceli types her notes because, “some teachers talk so quickly that it’s hard to write down all of the information fast enough.”

Electronically taking notes can help a student to be more organized and prepared, giving them ample time to listen to what their instructor is saying.  It’s a lot easier to go back in a document and add in any additional information that the teacher might say later on, rather than squeezing extra comments in the margins of a notebook.

Instead of flipping from page to page when reviewing for a test, the search function can be used to look through any document quickly.  This can reduce wasted time when cramming for an exam.  Sharing notes with friends is as effortless and quick as sending an email.

But do all of these benefits outweigh the distractions that computers or tablets create?  The few times that I have tried to take notes on my computer, I always end up Facebook stalking, pinning delicious food on Pinterest, or online shopping.  I thought that this could be due to my addiction to shoes/bags/jewelry but, when I look around in class, I see a lot of screens filled with things other than Microsoft word.

Jackie Somma, a sophomore applying to the business school, loses her focus when using her laptop, distracted by social media.  She believes that she benefits from writing her notes, especially when she can draw pictures and diagrams related to what she is learning.

Physically writing out notes can have its benefits.  Not only does it force students to semi-focus on what their professor is saying, it actually helps them to retain more information.  According to the Huffington Post, scientific studies have proven that there are advantages to putting our notes in writing.  It’s a more complicated process because we are using different parts of our brain.  Utilizing multiple senses allows for more of the information to be programmed into our memories.

To me, the debate is still up in the air.  As soon as I open up my MacBook, my teacher’s words go in one ear and out the other.  If I want to do well in school, I’ll continue to be one of the only people who hasn’t joined the 21st century and started typing my notes.

Photo Credit:
Top: Business.wikinut.com
Middle: Macdailynews.com
Bottom: civil-lain.blogspot.com