This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Many students download phone apps to pass the time during long lectures, but they are usually nothing more than games or quizzes. The new app Gratii, that is becoming extremely popular with college students, allows you to play games while simultaneously racking up “virtual money” to use on real world items. 

Instead of spending a dollar or two to download a game, Gratii gives you cash as you play. This virtual money, which Gratii exclusively has patented, allows you to buy items and gift-cards ranging from McDonalds to Macy’s.

In the app, there is an “Arcade” option, and an “Auction” option. The arcade lets you choose from a list of games, which is growing every day, and play to rack up “Gratii,” the virtual money. The auction option simply allows you to bid on prize items, rather than playing games in order to win money to buy them. If you are the highest bidder, your prize is delivered right to your house.

Gratii was originally launched to college students, specifically right here at the University of Maryland. The app’s CEO, Brian Feldman, said that though young adults were originally the target audience, the app’s popularity has spread to a variety of age groups that the company never expected.

“The demographics we saw playing it were shocking. We had everyone hooked, male and female, preteen to 60+,” Feldman said. “Gratii really has attracted everyone which I’m still trying to wrap my head around.”

Although Gratii is being used by more and more types of people, it’s still very popular with college students. Jess Schram, a sophomore public relations major, said she likes Gratii because of what she gets from playing.

“It’s the only app I have where I can win real world prizes without spending any money,” Schram said. “Who wants a new character or level upgrade when you could win a Victoria’s Secret gift card?”

Though most users agree there are great prizes up for grabs, some think it’s too hard to actually get the goods offered.

“It takes too long to get points and there aren’t a lot of game options,” sophomore kinesiology major Ashley Krogel said. “I liked the prizes but they took too many points to get so I stopped playing all together.”

But Gratii’s creators have much bigger plans for the app than entertaining college students. Feldman said that he hopes Gratii can work with companies and use their sampling process to the app’s advantage.

When a company comes up with a new product, Feldman said that Gratii takes it, puts it up as a prize, and spreads awareness about it by offering it to users.

A Gratii press release said that the company is not slowing down any time soon. The app wants to acquire more brand name partnerships, and in the long run, revolutionize the way new products are sampled.