Movie Review: Breaking Dawn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Caution! This article contains material pertaining to the Twilight Saga films and books. For those of you who can’t stand the existence of this vampire romance series, consider yourselves warned.

For those of you, like myself, who are still drawn toward the story that captivated your imaginations in those early high school years, prepare yourselves for a movie that was the biggest feat of them all for the Twilight Saga.

The crowd was excited and ready to go as they showed up to the midnight showing of the franchise’s fourth installment of Breaking Dawn. With blankets and Twilight themed paraphernalia, people of all ages filled up the large theater well before 11:30. As soon as the clock hit 12:01 a.m., the lights dimmed and screams of anticipation filled the theater.

No matter who showed up to that theater, I believe no one was disappointed by what they saw. The movie, at the very least, was completely accurate to the book. It began with the grand wedding ceremony that was also the epic introduction to the book.

“The wedding scene is so lush, romantic and heartfelt as Edward and Bella whisper their vows–I just wanted it to go on and on and on,” said Bonnie Fuller of the Huffington Post. I think everyone would agree that Kristen Stewart (Bella) and Robert Pattinson (Edward) accurately delivered this highly anticipated scene. I recall whispering to my friends that this scene was exactly how I had imagined it.

Of course, with the wedding, came the long awaited honeymoon, in which Edward and Bella, for the first time, have sex. Half of my friends shamefully admitted that they came to see the movie just for that. As things got steamy in the bedroom between the newlyweds, the enthusiastic theater audience yelled in approval. “Get it Bella,” a viewer yelled, while another let out an “Ow Ow!” For a PG-13 movie, I’d say the sex scene was as hot as it gets. It was passionate, intense, and quite emotional.

Just when it seems as if Edward and Bella are going to live happily ever after, their world is rocked when Bella realizes she is pregnant with a half-vampire, half-human baby. Normally, this would be news to celebrate, but in Bella’s case, it is news that threatens her life. The movie unfolds with the chaotic series of events that result from Bella’s pregnancy. As Bella withers to death with a quickly growing vampire child in her womb, the werewolf pack contemplates an attack on the Cullen clan.

Out of all four of Stephanie Meyers’ books in the Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn was definitely the toughest to bring to fruition. Director Bill Condon certainly had his hands full with creating the over-the-top wedding and honeymoon, depicting the inner conflict of the werewolf pack, and portraying Bella’s struggle to have a baby.

I’ll warn you that some scenes in the movie are not for the squeamish. I recall looking around the theater during the gruesome scenes and people had jaws dropped, mouths covered, and eye bulged.  According to The New York Times review, this movie captures a “horrendous pregnancy that the director Bill Condon makes so palpably disturbing that it might cause David Cronenberg, the master of body horror, to wince.”

With that being said, Breaking Dawn, at the very least, left an impression on the people who left the theater that Thursday night. Some, like myself, were completely speechless, while others, like E! Movies Reviews, call it “The best Twilight movie yet!”