The Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As the weather starts to heat up, we look forward to beach trips, long nights and most importantly, no classes. But the summer brings another thing that excites us for this three-month break: movie season. Even as the economy struggles, summer ticket sales are expected to surpass last year’s $4.4 billion record, Bloomberg news reported.

With the trailers and teasers movie companies put out months before, we love to discuss which flicks we’re most excited about and count down to their releases. Here are the ones that topped our list as the most awaited pictures of the summer.

1. The Avengers

Marvel’s “The Avengers” opened Friday to kick off the season, and its sales numbers show why the flick is a must see. The movie premiered as the top film in the U.S. and Canadian theaters with a record $200.3 million, Bloomberg News reported. The movie includes several Marvel heroes including Thor, Captain America and Iron Man. This accompanied with a headlining cast makes the movie one not to miss.

“The previews looked very action packed, I knew Marvel was planning towards this because they’ve had teasers since the end of Iron Man in 2008,” sophomore Jace Evans said. “[‘The Avengers’] is just a culmination of everything.”

2. The Dark Knight Rises
Premiering July 20, this is the second superhero film set to be a huge hit at the box office. The movie signifies the concluding chapter of director Christopher Nolan’s bleak Batman trilogy.

“I saw the ‘Dark Knight and’ it was one of my favorite movies and I’m also a big Christian Bale fan, so when I heard this was coming out I was really excited,” sophomore Antonio Barbera said. “They also ended Dark Knight on kind of cliff hanger, so I’m anxious to see what happens in this one.”

With 2008’s “The Dark Knight “ achieving the title of 11th highest-grossing film of all time, it will be interesting to see how this final feature will do in theaters.

3. Snow White and the Huntsman
This twist on the fairy tale will start June off with a star-studded cast including Kristen Stewart as Snow White and Charlize Theron as the evil queen out to destroy her. The action adventure will attract those of you looking for a darker, more mature interpretation of the classic.

4. The Dictator
Funny-man Sacha Baron Cohen is back for his third big screen performance that is likely to offend and induce laughter. With hits like “Borat” and “Bruno,” we know Cohen produces ridiculous stunts that both shock and startle. “The more previews I see, the funnier it seems,” Evans said. Although this flick is scripted, unlike much of his previous two, it is sure to bring out fans of Cohen who are waiting to see what he does this time as a Gaddafi-esque ruler who adventures to America.

5. Dark Shadows
Johnny Depp and director Tim Burton collaborate once again for a strange yet intriguing film. This time, Depp takes on the role of Barnabas Collins, an 18th century vampire who gets thrown into the 1970s after being locked up by an evil yet promiscuous witch. Helena Bonham Carter fills out the trio who is likely to intrigue and entertain at the box office.