IMG 3168?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 3168?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Maeve Reilly

Michael Cera: The Newest Skincare Influencer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

CeraVe’s Super Bowl commercial collaboration with Michael Cera cleared up rumors about the relationship between the well known skincare company and the actor, highlighting the fact that dermatologists developed the product– not Michael Cera. 

The skincare company’s ad campaign began to create an association between the two on social media due to the similarity in their names, which led people to believe Cera developed CeraVe. 

Cera, the 35 year old Canadian actor, has been featured in a variety of films and television shows. His most popular roles have been Scott Pilgrim in “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World,” George Michael in “Arrested Development, ” Paulie Bleeker in “Juno” and Alan in “Barbie.”

The thirty second commercial begins with Cera advertising CeraVe’s products, raving about their moisturizing effects and how he developed it himself. This is followed by an amusing compilation of Cera with the CeraVe Moisturizing Daily Lotion, performing activities such as mountain climbing and getting a massage. Yet, at the end of the commercial, Cera stands in front of a team of dermatologists who appear confused about Cera’s marketing campaign.

The humorous ad campaign gained traction after Cera was seen signing CeraVe Moisturizing Daily Lotion bottles with his face on them in late January. 

Rumors continued to spread about Cera’s involvement in the campaign when Tik Tok influencer Haley Kalil ran into Cera signing bottles of the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing lotion at a pharmacy in Brooklyn. The Tik Tok went viral shortly after it was posted. The video was a paid partnership with CeraVe, according to the influencer’s caption.

Shortly after, influencers began receiving PR boxes that were plastered with odd sayings, such as “Human skin is his passion,” and photos of Cera’s face. The packages contained a narwhal stuffed animal (in reference to the long version of the commercial), a shirt with Cera’s picture, crystals, a candle, CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion and tissue paper with Cera’s face. 

CeraVe also posted Tik Toks about their Cera ad campaign, along with an “apology” video from Haley Kalil. In this video, she clarifies how Cera did not develop CeraVe products and how “Cera” in “CeraVe” actually stands for the blend of three ceramides in the products.  The video had a humorous tone, as there was no real controversy.

They followed this Tik Tok by posting a comical video of dermatologist Dr. Shah interviewing Cera about the details and specifics of CeraVe skincare. Finally, the CeraVe Tik Tok page also posted the long version of the Super Bowl commercial

Now, Cera can add skincare influencer to his long list of roles over the years. 

Nicole Pilsbury

Maryland '27

My name is Nicole Pilsbury and I am currently a freshman studying journalism at UMD! I enjoy reading, working out, writing, and hanging with friends!