Meghan Smith and Jessica Moy Visit St. Jude Children’s Hospital

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

University of Maryland students and Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) philanthropy chairmen Jessica Moy and Meghan Smith are bringing what they learned from their visit to St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. back to the Maryland community.

Junior communication major Smith and junior kinesiology major Moy were selected to attend a leadership conference at the hospital, which has been Tri Delta’s national philanthropy partner since 1999, due to the Maryland sorority’s fundraising achievements.

“It was really amazing seeing Tri Deltas from all over the country come together to learn how we can better support St. Jude,” said Smith.

Stjude.org states that college students that come to leadership conferences at the hospital learn “new fundraising skills” and are provided information on what philanthropy events are most successful and how to better them.

According to Smith, the hospital’s connection to Tri Delta is very apparent, from plaques citing the amount of money the sorority has raised, to an entire patient floor named for Tri Delta.

While at the hospital, Moy and Smith attended leadership seminars that “discussed ways to be the most proactive about philanthropy and ways to effectively fundraise.”

The chairs were also able to hear St. Jude patients speak and ask questions about their stay at the hospital.   
                “We were able to listen to some patients and their families share their stories. They were so inspiring and have the most amazing spirits. They all expressed how grateful they are for Tri Delta and how we truly are making a difference at St. Jude,” said Smith.

Now that Moy and Smith are back from their trip to St. Jude, they are using the knowledge they gained during their visit to try to improve philanthropy at Maryland for St. Jude.

Smith said she wants to personalize UMD philanthropy by sharing actual patient stories with members and by incorporating a five-minute philanthropy info session into meetings to make sorority members aware of what’s happening at the hospital.   

Smith and Moy plan to emphasize the “Sincerely Yours” program, where sorority members write letters asking for donations, which is responsible for about 70 percent of the money Tri Delta raises for St. Jude.

But Smith and Moy want to extend the opportunity to fundraise for the hospital past the Greek community.

“We want to try doing some tabling or fundraising during Maryland day, but we could also even consider pairing up with other organizations for other fundraising activities,” Moy said.

Smith said that Maryland students can contribute to the cause by coming out to philanthropy events such as Flapjack Attack, an all-you-can-eat pancake dinner in the Spring, and by donating to a prom dress drive which allows patients to have their own prom during their stay.

“As college students with no money, sometimes fundraising proves to be very difficult, and we forget why we are doing it. However, when you see what your money is going towards, it makes raising money a lot more personal, and it is a reminder that every little bit has made a difference,” Moy said.