Meet The Faces of Maryland: No, Not Testudo and Jim Henson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

We’ve seen them at least once or twice on campus: decked out in UMD gear, leading hordes of interested high school students around UMD during the school year. Or maybe you see them driving in golf carts near
Stamp or met them during your freshman orientation in the summer. Well, other than asking yourself, “How can I drive the golf cart on campus” and “Why are there so many people near Testudo at McKeldin library?”, you wonder: “Who are they?” During the beginning of the school year at the First Look Fair, past Orientation Advisors (OAs) from the Orientation Office and MD Imagers Student Coordinators begin recruitment of future Orientation Advisors (OA), Program Registers (PR) and MD Imagers. MD Imagers provide campus walking tours at UMD for future students and their families throughout the school year.

On the other hand, Orientation Advisors aid incoming freshman, transfer students, returning students and their families in transitioning to UMD during summer orientation with additional responsibilities during the school year. Program Registars are the source of contact among incoming students and their families as well as making sure all new students are registered for Orientation. Each year, the Orientation Office and Undergraduate Admissions (where MD Images falls under) receive hundreds of applications to be OAs, PRs and MD Imagers. Junior Neurobiology and Physiology major and Co- Student Coordinator of MD Images said, “On average we get about 190 applications. This Fall we had a record number with 215 applications.”

However, the application process as well as becoming an OA, PR or MD Imager can be daunting and time-consuming. Senior Sociology and Family Science double major and Co- Student Coordinator of MD Images Carrie Marsh explains the MD Images process: “Students apply online, and are given a time slot for a tour presentation. They are to prepare a 5 minute spiel for four different Maryland topics. They are in a room with a number of Imagers who will pick a topic and evaluate their presentation. If they pass this round, they move on to “Speed Dating” and are asked a multitude of questions by current Imagers. If accepted, we have 6 weeks of training, including shadowing and participating on tours, and then they are full-fledged guides.”

Even though MD Images and the Orientation Office have a three step process of selecting future staff, the Orientation Office does have additional requirements after accepting the position. Sophomore Fire
Protection Engineering major and co-Student Coordinator of the Orientation Office Cara Hamel said, “the new staff members take EDCP318O, a leadership and training 3-credit course, which the OAs and PRs learn how to work with people, how to accept and work with diversity of all types, how to manage crisis, and complete an Academic Resource Guide. Starting the week after Memorial Day, the OAs and PRs (new and returning staff members) complete a week of very intense training that lays down the specifics for the orientation program.”

Despite the daunting application process and possible obstacles of being an OA, PR or MD Imager, many
UMD students apply anyways. Junior Special Education Major and an Orientation Advisor for the Business School Idara Akpan applied to break out of her comfort zone. Akpan said, “I applied to be an orientationadvisor because I was trying tobreak out of my shell and really take advantage of everything the university has to offer.” Senior Family Science major and Program Registar Michelle McQuaid applied to interact with students and their families. She said, “I chose to become a PR because I thought it’d be a great opportunity to make connections with other students and staff at the University.

Also, I thought it would be a really cool to be that first point of contact that many students and parents have at the University. It’s really cool thinking that you’re the first person from UMD that this new student is talking to.” So, if you’re a freshman or senior looking to meet new people, then become the face of Maryland and be a OA, PR or MD Imager! As McQuaid said herself, “I met some of the most amazing people and some of the best friends I’ll ever have. It’s such an amazing experience and I think that everyone can benefit from it!”

Photo permission courtesy of Maryland Images