Manicure for a Cure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Pampering and philanthropy came together to wrap up breast cancer awareness month as University of Maryland Hillel hosted the 4th annual ManiCURE for Sharsheret on October 31.

At the event, sponsored by RJC, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Sigma Delta Tau, Jewish Student Action Committee, Jewish Student Union, and the American Beauty Academy, women were able to get manicures, decorate cookies and enter raffles, with proceeds donated to Sharsheret.

Sharsheret, the national non-profit organization that supports Jewish women diagnosed with breast cancer, helps create networks of peers, health professionals, and other resources to aid women and their families while they are dealing with the disease and after.

“Sharsheret means chain in Hebrew; the organization links women who have breast cancer with women who have experienced it in the past,” explained Bianca Lehrer, junior psychology major.

“It’s a friend that’s been there to tell you about doctors and what to expect. It’s a community of women that have been through the same thing so you feel like you’re not alone.” This year was Lehrer’s third year participating and second year helping to organize the event.

“Manicure for the Cure” started at Princeton University and was adopted by Maryland in 2008 to raise awareness about breast cancer, funding for the cause and to unite women. At the fundraiser manicures cost $10, grey American Apparel v-neck shirts with pink imprinting sold for $16 or a t-shirt and manicure for $24. More shirts were purchased this year than any previous year.

Students who attend the event could sign up for manicure time slots throughout the day, done by beauticians from the American Beauty Academy. Michelle Goliger, a freshman journalism major, heard about the event through Hillel and Facebook. “I like the idea of manicures – they’re feminine and fun – and why not do it for $10, which is cheaper anyways, and have it go to a good cause,” Goliger said. This year, ManiCURE raised $1,500 for Sharsheret.

The Prince George’s room in the Stamp Student Union was decorated with pink balloons, table clothes, jellybeans, M&Ms and free pens and strawberry lip balms. Tables were also set up with pamphlets about Sharsheret, sugar cookies to be decorated for $1 and various products who’s profits are donated to breast cancer research were on sale.

Miri Friedman, a senior art history major, has helped organize the event for the past three years. “Each year we find ways to improve the event,” Friedman said. To advertise for the event the planning committee hung flyers and created a Facebook event. For Friedman, the best part is seeing everything come together. “I love hearing people say positive things and seeing the shirts around campus,” she said.

The ManiCURE for Sharsheret committee also put on Pink Drink Tuesday at Cornerstone Loft from 9 to 11 p.m. on October 18 as a way to kick off and promote ManiCURE. Half of each person’s cover went towards Sharsheret.

Look out for the event next October during breast cancer awareness month.