Low on Cash for Halloween? Try These Creative Costume Ideas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

October is finally here – a month filled with midterms, changing leaves, and Halloween spirit. As the month gets closer to the 31st, there is a question looming in the back of many collegiettes’ minds: “What should I be for Halloween?”

While the easiest solution for Halloween is to make a run to the nearest costume store, chain stores like Party City and Spirit Halloween do not sell costumes for low prices. Although there are some unique costumes that can be worth the splurge, do you really want to spend $70 on a cheaply manufactured outfit that would probably be worn only once?

Before you head to the mall, try looking into your own closet for inspiration. You may be surprised to realize that the old cheetah print dress that you never wear anymore because its slightly tacky could be the perfect safari girl costume.

Here are some creative Halloween costume ideas inspired by pieces that can be found in the average college girl’s wardrobe:

Lady Gaga
This celebrity is constantly changing her image, leaving you with a variety of options from your closet to choose from! A meat dress, a Kermit the Frog appliquéd jacket, and a bubble suit are just a few of her famous ensembles. Get crafty and staple some old beanie babies to a jacket you don’t care about anymore to replicate the Kermit ensemble! If you would like to go for a more classic Gaga look, wear a black leotard or spandex leggings with a matching top. Incorporate a signature Gaga trademark accessory or hairstyle. For example, wear old sunglasses and glue rhinestones onto them to resemble the ones she wears on the cover of her first album, The Fame. If you have long enough hair, you may want to try a hair bow.

’80s Fitness Girl

This cute costume will allow you to feel comfortable all Halloween night. Cut the collar off of a sweatshirt or oversize T-shirt, allowing your shoulder to be exposed. Dig through your sports bras and find your brightest one to wear so that the strap can be visible under the sweatshirt or T-shirt. For bottoms, wear leggings with leg warmers or knee socks. Put on a pair of sneakers and you are ready to dance the night away in your aerobic gear.

Biker Chick
Channel your inner-badass with this simple costume. This look also involves cutting up a T-shirt. Crop a black T-shirt, cut the sleeves off, or fringe the bottom. Pair your newly created edgy top with jeans or denim shorts. A leather jacket and fishnet tights give this costume a tough vibe. Take your look to the next level with smoky eye makeup and red lipstick. Be liberal with that black eyeliner.

Snooki

Although being a Jersey Shore character member has been a popular Halloween choice since the show started, the costumes are easy and fun. A basic black dress or any animal print skirts and tops work very well. Add an extremely teased poof, large hoop earrings, heels, and some Snooki attitude and you are ready to club at Karma with the rest of the Jersey Shore gang. If you are aiming to get some laughs, use bronzer that is a shade darker than your skin tone.

Hippie

Platform shoes and head wraps, items popular in the ’60s and ’70s, have made a comeback this year. So those cork wedges that you wore all summer? Wear them with flared jeans and a crocheted or tie-dyed top. Now you have a vintage chic costume! All you have to do now is let your hair down, wear a forehead band, and throw up the peace sign.

Band Groupie
Get out your favorite band T-shirt and put it to use! If you have a band T-shirt of a rock group from the ’70s, become a rock groupie by wearing torn denim jeans, leggings with holes, or a metallic mini skirt. If you have an old boy band shirt such as Backstreet Boys or Jonas Brothers, poke fun at the boy band craze and dress up as on obsessed fan. Depending on how comedic you want the costume to be, have your friends write numerous comments about the band with body paint on your arms and face. An example would be “Backstreet Boys 4 Life” or “I AM Mrs. Nick Jonas.” Carrying a fake-signed picture of the band would compliment the costume.

Daily Glow, a health and beauty website, gives directions on how to create the famous Lady Gaga hair bow:
http://www.dailyglow.com/how-to-create-the-lady-gaga-hair-bow.html

If you somehow remain convinced that none of the items in your closet are suitable for Halloween, make a visit to the thrift store. You never know when you could find a Harley Davidson shirt for $3 that would make an epic biker chick outfit. The following link gives an address to a local College Park thrift store:
http://shopcollegepark.org/citymaps/go.php?id=276 

The University of Maryland’s Graduate Student Life Handbook also lists the addresses to thrift stores in the College Park area:
http://www.union.umd.edu/GH/basic_needs/shopping.html