Looking for a Bargain?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Discount websites have exploded in the last year or two.  As you walk down the streets of major cities, like Washington, D.C. or New York, billboards sporting logos like “LivingSocial”, “Bloomspot”, or “Groupon” are everywhere.  These websites provide the best deals for dining, weekend getaways, and “adventures”, from kayaking to wine pairing.

Maria DeNapoli, a senior at UMD, has taken advantages of these websites.  “I got a Nordstrom Rack gift card from Groupon once,” she says.  “It was $25 for $50 in merchandise.  My mom and my sister each got one too so we went wild there.”

DeNapoli says she would encourage everyone to look at what these sites have to offer.  “They let you try things you’ve always wanted to try or enjoy things you already love,” she says.  “I was very happy with my purchase.”

LivingSocial allows you to search by proximity to your location, including 66 cities in North America, 72 in Europe, and nine in the Middle East. 

This past weekend’s deals for the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area included bargains on teeth whiting, a summer gymnastics camp, a professional photo shoot, and various waxing promotions – perfect for the warm weather we’ve been having. 

One thing to look out for:  Make sure you look at the “fine print”.  If you purchase a weekend getaway, make sure you look for any “black-out dates”, meaning certain dates that are excluded from the deal.  There’s nothing worse than booking a trip, and realizing the provided dates do not correspond with your schedule.

In addition to “black-out dates”, look for any additional expirations.  Some getaways or activities like hiking trips or kickboxing workshops may ask you to sign up before a certain date.  To avoid missing out on these amazing experiences, be sure to check out the fine print. 

Take a look at LivingSocial, Groupon, and Bloomspot to see what deals you should take advantage of in your city.