Kim Kardashian goes Vogue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Between television appearances, magazine spreads, and her own reality show, Kim Kardashian has dipped her toes in all forms of media. But recently Kim K made a choice that many have dubbed as “krazy”- posing for the cover of Vogue with her soon to be hubby.

After months of speculation that Kanye West was pressuring the Vogue Editor-in-Chief to put his fiancée on the cover, West and Kardashian were front-and-center on the April 2014 issue. With West wrapped gently around her, Kardashian was dressed in a strapless ballgown fit for reality royalty.

However, some celebrities were not on board with selection. On March 21st, actress Sarah Michelle Gellar tweeted, “ Well……I guess I’m canceling my Vogue subscription. Who is with me???” Though she did not name names, it was assumed she was referring to magazine’s controversial cover choice. Kardashian’s longtime friend Jonathan Cheban came to her rescue by tweeting to Gellar, “ Do u matter?”, but it was apparent that Gellar was not the only one opposed to the choice.       

Shortly after the cover was released, Naomi Campbell, a past Vogue cover model, appeared on Australia’s The Morning Show, where she was asked what she thought of the choice. Though she never outright said she did not like the cover, Campbell responded with laughter. When asked if she felt Kim and Kanye had not earned their right to be cover stars, Campbell responded, “those are your words not mine.”

Campbell is just one of many actresses and supermodels who have graced the cover of Vogue, a publication that is often considered the bible of all things high fashion and lifestyle. So when Campbell, who has been on the Vogue cover more than once, said, “ I’m a fashion model and I’ve been working for 28 years, and when you get a Vogue cover, it’s a build in your career. It’s a stepping-stone to achieve that.”

Some media outlets determined she was implying the couple was undeserving of the Vogue cover.

Sophomore communications major Meagan Blaier agrees, explaining, “ I don’t think that Vogue is a place for Kim Kardashian and Kanye West.”

Despite the negativity, Kardashian and West are no strangers to controversy. Since they began dating in 2012, the couple have been scrutinized for everything from their daughter’s name to speculation on whether or not their relationship started earlier than some speculate. Yet none of this stopped famed Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour from defending her decision to put the fashion-forward couple on the magazine’s cover.

In response to the cover’s backlash, Wintour said, “ It was, I should add, entirely our idea to do it. You may have read Kanye begged me to put his fiancée on Vogue’s cover. He did nothing of that sort.”

Despite the opposing opinions on the cover, sophomore journalism and American studies major Alessia Grunberger agrees with the magazine’s choice, citing the couple’s fashionable clothing choices as a reason to make them cover stars.

“Honestly, I don’t really mind them on the Vogue cover. I mean, they are not exactly the most positively influential couple around, but-come on- they are fashion icons. Let it be,” she said.

Kase Klosed.