Photo of Kesha Conceet
Photo of Kesha Conceet
Original photo by Alex Marek

Kesha Shines at D.C. Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Excitement and nostalgia filled the air as fans dressed in ripped tights and glittery eyeshadow crowded the stage for Kesha’s performance at The Anthem, in Washington, D.C. 

On Oct. 29, Kesha lit up The District Wharf with a mirage of eccentric outfits, stunning vocals and songs both old and new. 

The lights went out, and the “Die Young” singer’s silhouette appeared behind white curtains. Kesha emerged from the curtains while singing “Only Love Can Save Us Now” in a metallic dress complete with thigh-high silver boots and a headband with an antenna that whipped around as she sang. 

Kesha released her newest album ”Gag Order” in May. Her tour was originally going to be named “The Gag Order Tour,” however, she decided to change it to “The Only Love Tour” a month before the first show. 

“Life is too short, and I want to celebrate the freedom and love in my life with all of you. Let’s do this. Only love can save us now,” Kesha wrote in an Instagram post announcing the new name. 

After the opening song, Kesha transitioned right into her breakout hit “Tik Tok.” The crowd went wild. Her two backup dancers appeared on stage and Kesha joined in on some of their choreography. 

She then played hits such as “Cannibal” and “Backstabber.” The energy in the pit was electric. 

“I had so much fun at the Kesha concert. She had such a good mix of new and old music and an amazing stage presence,” said sophomore criminal justice major Hannah Scopp. 

Kesha left the stage as her backup dancers danced to “Good Old Days,” a collaboration between Kesha and Macklemore. She reappeared wearing a cream tulle dress with a sheer train that reached the floor. She took the opportunity to slow down, playing a piano ballad of the song “Rainbow” from her 2017 album of the same name. The crowd put up their cell phone lights and lit up the whole venue. 

She then performed an emotional rendition of her song, “Hate Me Harder.” The song’s lyrics reflect the negativity Kesha has faced throughout her career and how she has learned to deal with the hate. 

Kesha ended strong with the hit “Blow.” Strobe lights filled the air and giant silver balloons bounced around in the crowd. By the time the strobe lights turned off Kesha was gone, but the fans were not ready for the night to end. 

Chants of “one more song” broke out amid cheering fans still buzzing from the night. Kesha reappeared on stage and began singing “Praying.” Her voice rang through the air in an emotional performance. The night ended with the pop smash hit “ We R Who We R.” 

“In my opinion she makes perfect concert music, classics like ‘Your Love is My Drug’ and ‘TikTok’ were meant to be performed for a crowd that big. Kesha has always been a staple in my party playlists and seeing her live just renewed my appreciation for her music,” said junior international relations major Lucas Howarth. 

Kesha created a night to remember for many fans and proved that the party don’t start til she walks in. 

Alex Marek

Maryland '26

Alex is a journalism major with a sustainability minor at the University Of Maryland.