Ken’s Job is Just Grammys: Barbie Continues to Spark Women’s Rights Discussions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

article by elyssa kugler

The “Barbie” movie’s success is undeniable. It has made $1.4 billion (and counting), according to Box Office Mojo. Even months after its release, fans dressed up as Barbie for Halloween and still stream the soundtrack. 

The well-known song “I’m Just Ken,” sung by Ryan Gosling, has been streamed so frequently it was even nominated for a grammy on Nov. 10. It wasn’t the only song off of “Barbie” to be nominated. There were another ten 2024 Grammy nominations for the “Barbie”  soundtrack. 

However, many people frown upon Barbie dolls. They can set unrealistic body image expectations, and, even with the increase in diversity of Barbie dolls, they still perpetuate stereotypes about women. 

How can this musical movie starring a typically criticized figure receive this much positive recognition? Simply put, its success can be attributed to the uplifting message and anti-patriarchal purpose of the film.

Director Greta Gerwig wanted to use the “Barbie” movie as a symbol to represent inequality and educate viewers on the inequitable world we currently live in. The purpose of the movie wasn’t solely to entertain, but rather educate, advocate, and change culture positively. Even the songs exhibited this message, explaining why the catchy songs are nominated for multiple grammys. 

barbie movie
Warner Bros

According to Michele Ramsey, professor of gender and sexuality studies at Penn State University, the movie teaches viewers about patriarchy and a system where men control culture and society. Ramsey explains that the lack of equality seen in the movie also exists in the United States. 

She gives an example of this when she explains that women are excluded in politics, finance, business and more in the United States. The Pew Research Center  reports that many white women make 83 cents for every dollar a man in the same job makes, further showing inequality.

“Barbie” wasn’t made to pity women or blame men. It was made so that people can recognize perpetuating unequal social constructs. Evidence shows that the movie has helped viewers learn about the patriarchy and social dynamics between men and women. Specifically, according to a survey by Resume Builder, two in three viewers felt the film helped them recognize patriarchy in their own workplace.

Despite the positive impact it has had, the movie received criticism. For example, when Ken is only happy when Barbie notices him, some viewers felt it meant that men were seen as having no personal identity. Gerwig didn’t do this to undermine or disrespect men but rather to turn the tables and have people recognize how women are perceived in our world. 

So, when Ken’s only goal is to get Barbie’s attention, that is showing the common stereotype in the real world that everything a woman wears, says and does is to get a man’s attention. According to The Blue Banner, a magazine company at the University of North Carolina Asheville, the movie tries to highlight that stereotypes like this one are false and that both men and women should not follow the societal expectations of who they should be.

Movies like “Barbie” are important because they are going to help reach a wide audience in a receptive way, advocating for topics surrounding women’s rights. Even months later, we are still seeing the impacts of this influential movie.