Keeping it Cute Off the Court with Kim Rodgers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

When you think about sports, blood, sweat, tears and men usually come to mind. Besides the ones that pose nude for magazines, female athletes are too often grouped into this notion with the misconception that they are all just as masculine as the sports they play. This idea is very inaccurate especially when it comes to the Maryland’s women’s basketball team who is currently ranked #10 in the nation. Senior guard #22 Kim Rodgers, communication and psychology double major, knows how to be athletic without masking her femininity.

Rodgers started playing basketball at age six when she would go to the gym with her dad. He taught her the basics and the importance of being a part of something. From there she developed a passion for the sport and continued to excel. Although she has been athletic her entire life she has never lost sight of her femininity.

“I love shopping,” Rodgers said. “I’ve started wearing more girly stuff, I love heels now. I try to dress feminine when I can. Whenever I go out I like to get dressed up and put on a little make-up now and then and I always keep my nails done.”

She says the worst thing about basketball is that she sweats so much that if she got her hair done it would come right out any way. She does not feel that her participation in basketball made her miss out on much. Instead of hitting the gym or attending zumba classes to stay thin like the average female, Rodgers gets her exercise from practice everyday. 

As opposed to joining a sorority Rodgers is a member of a team that she refers to as her sisters. Their bond is stronger than any other team I have witnessed. The dating scene is quite the same for her as well. Rodgers has dated athletes who understand her struggles. She has never felt that a guy was intimidated by her athleticism.

She tackles some of the misconceptions about athletes. “Some people think female athletes are more masculine than the average girl,” Rodgers said. “They think we’re not as smart or involved in academics and that we’re privileged”, says Rodgers, “You have to think that we’ve sacrificed our entire lives to get to the point where we are now so we have to be able to balance our lives, socially, emotional aspects, school and all that stuff.”

She says the key to staying feminine while being athletic is just staying true to yourself and not try to fit a certain stereotype. She has never felt the need to hide that she is an athlete to prove her femininity.

Rodgers says, “I’ve always been really proud that I’m in the situation that I’m in. I have done a lot of work and the pay off is to be able to play sports in college and get my education”. 

Strong female role models surround Rodgers. She looks up to her mother who got pregnant early with her sister and had to drop out of college, but had the drive to go back later to get her masters degree. Her sister, who was diagnosed with breast cancer and overcame that and also went back to school, also inspires her.

In the future Kim Rodgers plans to be a sports psychologist and help other athletes.  She already has a degree in communications and is working on a second one in psychology.