Jump into Fall with Seasonal D.C. Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

After a long, hot summer, Maryland students are looking for ways to welcome the beginning days of autumn and anticipating the cooler change of pace, by journeying to D.C. for a day full of fun activities.

In an attempt to get a taste of the New England autumn feeling in the South, there are many different fall activities to be done in D.C. when you have a free weekend or afternoon.

An all-around favorite D.C. activity for girls is spending the day in Georgetown, grabbing a delicious lunch and then hitting all your favorite stores up and down M Street. This is the perfect way to get out of College Park for the day, while refreshing your fall wardrobe and preparing for the cooler weather ahead. Also, take a must-do stop at the new Georgetown waterfront.

Sophomore psychology major, Becky Warman, explained, “I love going to Georgetown to shop with friends. We make a day of it, getting a nice brunch and then finding new clothes for school. It’s definitely a nice change in scenery.”                                             

Although shopping around Georgetown is always a great way to spend a gorgeous day outside with your friends, that can get pricey. Instead, try a walking tour of the nation’s capital.

Canden Schwantes, manager at a local walking tour company DC By Foot, leads free public tours for groups of five people that she promises are great outdoor activities that make two hours pass in a second.  This is the perfect way to spend a nice autumn day, since all of the tours are outside. None of the tours go in buildings, which allows you to enjoy the weather.

Image via washington.org

“Our most popular tour is the National Mall tour, but my favorite is the Lincoln Assassination. We also offer tours of Arlington National Cemetery, Georgetown and a ghost tour as well,” explained Schwantes.

Finally, another great way to get out of the College Park bubble and have a fun day in the capital is by indulging in a trip to the National Zoo. Whether you spend the day hanging out with elephants and giant pandas, or at the Amazonia exhibit to see the reptiles and amphibians, the zoo is a fun full-day activity to get you away from your everyday school life and into the jungle- or just the heart of D.C. 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.