This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

A total of 3,895 students cast their ballots in April’s Student Government Association election; 1,986 of them selecting sophomore government and politics and psychology double major Jamil Scott as the next Vice President of Academic Affairs.

But for 19-year-old Scott, the title is far from just a resume-builder. She was motivated to run for the position to help make other students’ educational experiences meaningful and their concerns heard.   

“As students, we spend four years at this university and we should feel that our voice matters within our respective colleges and that we are receiving the best education that is available,” Scott said.  

Scott’s past experience with the SGA body as the Denton Community legislator and member of the Academic Affairs Committee make her qualified for the position.

“Jamil has the potential to really change our university,” junior Staci Armezzani, the SGA’s director of communications and Jamil’s former campaign manager, said. “She has both the experience and drive to do whatever it takes when it comes to changing something. Every time I work with her, she amazes me more and more. Her motivation and drive is truly inspirational.”

Jamil Scott.

Scott said her first goal in office is to improve relations between the university’s deans and students. She plans to better these relationships by establishing advisory councils within each college so deans have the opportunity to receive student input and ideas.

Scott said she also wants to open up the dialogue about minority retention. “Many minority students drop out of college during their freshman year because they don’t feel supported or able to succeed in the college environment,” she said. “I think that being part of the Campus Mentoring Program under Black Student Union was very helpful in my development as a freshman in college. All minority students should have an opportunity like that.”

Scott therefore plans to work with cultural groups on campus to start more mentoring programs to encourage freshmen and help with their acclimation into the university community. 

“Diversity is extremely important and Jamil understands that it can teach us things we do not and/or cannot learn in the classroom,” current Vice President of Academic Affairs Saba Gyemfi said.

Scott attributes her readiness to take on the position and resolute mindset to her predecessors seniors Gyemfi and Lisa Crisalli.

“Both Saba and Lisa have taught me a no-nonsense leadership style,” Scott said. “Being part of the SGA is a big commitment for students, but because it is a commitment it should not be taken lightly. Accountability was really important to Saba and Lisa and I greatly admire them both for it. They have also taught me not to be afraid to challenge the established conventions.”

“Jamil understands that as a leader she must be a strong individual who cooperates and engages with others to achieve her goals,” Gyemfi said. “She is dedicated and determined to make a difference on this campus.”

Scott plans to further her predecessors’ work in the campaign for open source textbooks, which will alleviate the cost of students’ textbooks each semester, and proposal to increase the number of days at the end of the semester between classes and final exams.

“The cost of textbooks increases every year and students should be given an option to help them minimize this cost,” Scott said. “There are students who choose not to take classes because they cannot afford the textbooks or go through a course without buying the textbook, which adversely affects their performance. It should not be that way. The college environment should be one in which students feel intellectually challenged and tested in order to better themselves, not financially challenged and disadvantaged.”

Scott also stands strong in the belief she shares with thousands of students on campus that one day is not nearly enough to adequately prepare for final exams.

“The average student is taking three to four comprehensive exams and that can be extremely stressful,” Scott said. “Our peer institutions give students more than one day and if the University of Maryland wants to consider itself an institution of a high caliber then it needs to put its students in a position in which they are better able to succeed.”

Outside of her new role in the SGA, Scott said she wants her peers to know that she is a student just like everyone else.

“Just because I have a title does not make me superior,” Scott said. “I am friendly, fun and always willing to listen. Just like every other student that goes to the University of Maryland, I want to get the best education that is available to me.”

Molly is a senior Journalism major at the University of Maryland College Park with a focus in Magazine Journalism and a concentration in English. Originally from Columbia, Maryland, Molly has never lived outside the state - but has full intentions to move to a big city after graduation! She has interned at McClatchy-Tribune, Home and Design magazine and will be interning at American Journalism Review in the fall. On campus, she serves as a copy editor for the Diamondback, Maryland's independent student newspaper, and Unwind, Maryland's Honors-sponsored magazine, and is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. When she's not involved with school, her internships or Her Campus, Molly enjoys hanging out with friends, working out, shopping and watching Entourage and The Real Housewives. Molly hopes to score a journalism job in the big city next year, but for now, she's enjoying the rest of her time in college!