brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“Are you going to be my Tinderalla?”

Are you confused? Three months ago I was too. When I first heard about Tinder I was sitting in my dorm room with a couple of my friends. The conversation turned to the topic of apps, and the most current one at that time: Tinder.

From their description of the app it seemed like an app to meet a hook up. You have a profile, you like others and if they like you back then you can hook up. And with that in mind I became nervous and slightly intrigued by the app and its structure.

But after we moved on from the Tinder topic and onto something else I soon forgot about the app. It wasn’t until a month or so later when I was reintroduced to the app, this time from my older sister. She too had a profile on Tinder and considering she’s four years older than me and in grad school I assumed there had to be more to this app.

So for those of you who were once in my shoes, clueless about Tinder and slightly nervous and intrigued at the same time, here are my guidelines for the Tinder App.

First: What is Tinder?

According to their website (gotinder.com), “Tinder is how people meet. It’s like real life, but better.” Essentially it’s an app used to meet people near you through your Facebook photos and interests.

Once you set up a profile complete with five photos and a short bio about yourself you can anonymously scan through other tinder users profiles while clicking “yes” or “no” based on your preference.

The unique quality about Tinder is that the app is based on a radius. Depending on the range you choose, you can look through profiles of people 1 mile away or 100 miles away.

Second: How Do You Talk to Others?

Pretty simple, you find an attractive face then swipe right. If you find the opposite, then swipe left. If the other person thinks you are attractive, then you have a match! From there Tinder sets up a messaging section for you and those you’re matched up with.

But what makes Tinder so addicting?  

I created a profile about two months ago and still find myself going on for a couple minutes every week.

My theory? Tinder is the perfect set up for the targeted demographic (that is us college kids to those almost in there 30s).

And it seems 75 million other people have had been matched last year, says NBC News.

For those who have yet to venture towards the flame, here are some pros and cons from girls on Maryland’s campus:

Pros:

• “It’s good for self-esteem.”-Freshman; Tinder user of 3 months
  • “People have some creative pick up lines on there.”- Sophomore; Tinder user of 2 months

Cons:

• “It’s really superficial because you don’t get a chance to actually know someone because everything is online.”- Freshman
  • “Some people on there are extremely creepy and are only looking for a hook up.” –Sophomore

If we are honest with ourselves and consider Tinder, we can come to the conclusion that the app is based entirely on a shallow foundation. The first thing you see is their face. Sure there are profiles and mutual interests but the profile also has photos that take up most of the app

The app makes it incredibly easy to find people and start a small conversation. However sometimes those conversations can take a creepy turn for the worst. 

For some Tinder is the quickest way to a hook up, for others Tinder is a great way to meet people that you would not otherwise.

The app now joins the ranks of Snapchat and Twitter to create a bite-sized form of interaction that provides part dating app and part social game.