Life > Academics

Ignite UMD: Sparking Professional Inspiration In Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Tucked away in McKeldin Library, a fluorescently lit room filled with creaking rolling chairs and chipped wooden tables hosts a resume building and review night for Ignite’s members. The room is bustling with the rustle of papers and chatter about work experiences and college classes.

The club hosts events like this weekly to help empower women on campus in professional development by teaching interviewing skills and how to successfully network.

Ignite also hosts community service events and panel discussions such as “Elect Her,” a panel with female politicians from the local area discussing female leadership.

“We also do a lot of political discussions. Last year, we did a topic on a discussion [on] gun control and [we had] a speaker come in and talk to us,” said Lucia Diebboll, a sophomore criminology criminal justice major and service chair for Ignite. “We also had a group discussion about our opinions when Roe v. Wade overturned.”

Founded in 2017, the club has become a resource for women on campus to discuss their views and ideas, as well as providing tips and tricks to work on success in school and the workforce. 

“The goal of the club is to help women prepare for the progressive professional world, and also just become more well-versed in the political ongoings in society,” said Diebboll.

The organization recently hosted “Shero Walk,” joining a community walk in D.C. hosted by N-Street Village, a homeless shelter. The walk aims to raise funds and empower homeless and low-income women in the area. The group marched through the streets of D.C. chanting along with local business owners and community members to raise awareness for homelessness in the area.

“It was really nice to get out there with the girls at seven in the morning to volunteer,” said Ashley Gitau, a government and politics major and membership chair of the club.

The organization has become an open space for women on campus to discuss issues and ideas, while respecting each other no matter the topic or opinion.

“I just feel like I can openly talk about what I want to talk about here without judgment,” said Laiba Nisar, a government and politics major and member of Ignite. “I think we’re all very opinion based, but we all have respect for each other and make sure that everyone’s being heard.”

The club has also become a safe haven for women on campus, no matter their major or experience in politics.

“It’s a place for like-minded women to come together, and honestly just become the best version of themselves in a lot of different ways, both personally, socially, academically and professionally,” Diebboll said.

Journalism student at Philip Merrill College of Journalism at UMD