This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Campus Celeb: Hyobin Sung

Major: Senior Government and Politics, International Development

Hometown: Seoul, South Korea

Campus Celeb: Hyobin Sung

Hometown: Seoul, South Korea

Hyobin Sung keeps up a rigorous schedule. While preparing for her future in international development, Sung works three jobs and carries a heavy course load.

AALEAD, one of the programs that Sung works with, is an after school program focused on leadership, empowerment, and development through education. Sung oversees third and fourth grade students with their homework, critical thinking activities, and creative reading.

Sung is also involved in Amnesty International USA, where she assists in daily actions for Advocacy and Policy Director for Women’s Rights and Advocacy department. A daily schedule for Sung includes writing about women’s human rights issues for the organization’s blog, providing research on human rights violations and gender issues, and analyzing emerging areas of  law and government policy.

In addition to AALEAD and Amnesty International, Sung is a Team Leader for the on-campus America Reads*America Counts tutoring program. Sung provides guidance and aid to younger mentors and helps at-risk first grade students develop their reading and comprehension skills. Through one-on-one sessions, Sung conducts exercises to help students build confidence in their reading abilities.

What is your future career aspiration?

I hope to provide creative, innovative, and alternative ways for young students to learn in currently developing areas of Asia.  I’m a beneficiary of excellent education but most importantly, amazing mentorships along the way.  I have been truly lucky to have received incredible guidance and support from many teachers and supervisors along the way to help me realize my potential and to keep breaking barriers along the way.  I want to play the role of an impactful mentor to many young students who experience barriers that prevent them from fully realizing and living out their potentials.  I want to be their guiding light.

How do you prioritize your studying/activities/ jobs? How do you balance school work and your jobs?

I prioritize by asking myself, why?  Why is this task, activity, or job important? Why did I commit to it? Why does it matter? Once I know the answers to these questions it’s easy for me to figure out what needs to get done, what can be dropped, and what task can wait for later.

I also do not think of school as my gateway to landing a dream job or as the only way to make a living.  I consider my time in college as four awesome years of learning, making mistakes, meeting people, and challenging myself to venture out.  Therefore, I don’t stress over grades or exams.

I’m a huge advocate for experiential learning! I learn best by doing and trying so sitting in boring lectures and writing research papers are not my cups of perfectly brewed coffee! I say, figure out how you learn best, what helps you grow and prioritize on those!

Do you keep a daily schedule? If so, how do you schedule your daily activities/routine?

I cannot function as a credible person without my calendar where I write down all of my meetings, to-dos, parties to attend, and important deadlines.  However, I do not live by it. I try to remind myself that I am human and not a robot! To keep myself healthy and sane, I ALWAYS stick to: six hours of sleep, three healthy meals which I cook, plus endless snacks during the day, and exercising!

What do you enjoy most about your jobs?

At AALEAD and ARAC, I love interacting and learning from my own students.  Working with young students is one of the best ways to learn about myself, my own strengths and weaknesses. These kids keep me honest and relevant!

At Amnesty International USA, I love connecting to individual stories of amazing human rights activists from all over the world who risk their lives to stand up to injustice, defend their rights to freedom, and ultimately share their victories with others who are in same situations–these stories motivate me to continue my work in human rights and to count my blessings.

What lessons from your current job do you plan to use at your future occupation?

Listen to others, work with them, learn from them, and help them to work with you by communicating well.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions, to make mistakes, and to admit your shortcomings; they ONLY help you become a better colleague, a friend, and a person!

Chill out, relax, smile, and have fun!

Take care of yourself; your mind and your body.