How to Tackle Valentine’s Day with a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, many couples are looking for something to do, somewhere to go out to eat, a movie to see, or a romantic place to take a stroll. However, long-distance couples are just trying to figure out how to keep that flame alive being 100+ miles away.  

Being in a long distance relationship is hard enough and with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, those in LDRs are feeling it even more than normal. I have been long distance since the fall with my boyfriend who attends the University of Michigan (Go Blue!). It’s tough, but Maryland’s move to the Big10 helped because I was able to travel to Ann Arbor and watch the Maryland vs. Michigan game as an excuse to get to see him.

I am not going to say it has gotten easier over time, but it is definitely worth it. However, this Valentine’s Day, we have been faced with a challenge. In our brainstorming and talks with friends, he and I have compiled a list of ways to make a long distance relationship work on Valentine’s Day.

1. Eat Dinner Together

Skype or FaceTime is key to this one, so make sure your campus Wi-Fi is working properly and cozy up with some takeout in bed and talk with your significant other. Bonus points are awarded if you get the same food, which makes it seem even more like you are together.

2. Stay Up and Talk All Night

This is something I normally do with my significant other anyways, but it is an idea nonetheless for those who may not. Talking on the phone or over Skype is definitely something that makes the distance feel so much shorter, and with living in two separate places there is so much to talk about!

3. Send Each Other Little Gifts (Or Flowers!)

Who says flowers and chocolate boxes are dead just because you’re hundreds of miles apart? I LOVE chocolate so Valentine’s Day has always been my favorite holiday. I definitely think that sending chocolate or other cute little gifts are the way to your far away girl or guy’s heart. In addition, flowers are a must. They do not have to be super expensive roses by any means, but instead maybe her/his favorite flower or just a single rose. They say it all without the expense (we are broke college kids after all)

4. Watch a Movie Together

Seeing a movie is a big tradition for couples on Valentine’s Day, so don’t think you cannot do it just because you’re long distance. There are a few ways that you can go about this. This requires Skype or FaceTime so make sure you are off of the “UMD” Wi-Fi! Turn on your TV to the same movie or share screens to watch the same Netflix movie.

5. Postpone V-day

Luckily, spring breaks are starting shortly after Valentine’s Day; therefore, this option is not that difficult of one. If your significant other will be home soon after the 14th, then this is a perfect option. Maryland’s proximity to D.C. is a major bonus so anyone on campus can just hop on the metro with their significant other and take it into the city for a romantic stroll along the mall, ice skating, or a nice dinner.

Have no fears if you’re going to be far away from the one you love this Valentine’s Day. Instead, take a deep breath and look at the positives and things you can do and go from there. Romance is still alive; you’ll just have to put in a bit more effort. Just remember you’re closer with each day to seeing your significant other again, so stay strong and keep on loving!

Julia Bryant is a Freshman Multi-Platform Journalism Major in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland with plans to double major in French studies. She is also an avid member of both the Club Swim Team and Maryland Triathlon Team. She hopes to one day work for National Public Radio as a political correspondent!