How to Manage Food Allergies in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

I was born with life threatening food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts and several other foods from the legume family. Eating these foods, let alone simply being near them, could send me into a reaction that ranged in severity from a few small hives to anaphylactic shock. Allergies are graded in levels of severity from one to six, with six being the highest – mine are off the charts. Terrifying, right? If I eat the wrong thing I could end up in the hospital, or worse, dead.

Before college, mother, my school nurses, teachers, and myself carefully managed my life so that I would not have a reaction. Sometimes, it happened anyway.

Coming to college at the University of Maryland was a huge adjustment for me. In the first two weeks of class, I had an allergic reaction that forced me to miss one of my classes. Suddenly my world was not so easy to deal with – adjusting to more schoolwork and a totally new social life on top of dealing with my allergies felt like an insurmountable obstacle.

But somehow I made it. I learned a lot about advocating for myself along the way, and through it, I learned a lot about getting what you need when it comes to dealing with your allergies on your own.

Lesson 1: Be Prepared

A life lesson for many of us with allergies, this rule is imperative: carry your Epipen. Better yet, carry two. Whether or not it looks good, this is the one thing that will save your life. Every allergist mentions it, but sometimes we forget, or slack on this rule, because it sets us apart. Screw being weird, this can save your life.

Carrying snacks and having special food in your room is also important. While dining halls usually carry allergy-accommodating foods, it is good to have some options to fall back on, especially when you need a snack to go.

Lesson 2: Be Open

I used to always keep my allergies quiet, because I knew it was kind of weird to be different. But when I came to the University of Maryland, I took a different approach. I told all of my close friends and showed them how to use an Epipen.

And you know what? It didn’t make me weird. One of my friends turned out to have a brother with severe allergies,

Coming to college also means that somewhere along the line, you’re going to run into hookups or relationships. Having “the talk” isn’t just about whether you want to have sex for us with allergies – it’s something that comes with even the possibility of kissing.

I suggest mentioning it casually if possible; especially if it is someone you are spending a fair amount of time with. It’s uncomfortable, but asking someone to brush their teeth isn’t the most tragic thing that has happened during a hookup. It’s not even close.

Lesson 3: Use Your Resources

Surprisingly enough, the good money you pay for college does do something for you. The dining hall, resident life and disability service center can all be allies for someone with allergies. They can help out in a multitude of ways, from providing medical housing to assisting you with navigating the dining hall.

Lesson 4: Take Your Roommate Seriously

As easygoing as you may be, selecting and keeping a roommate who understands your allergies is necessary. I was lucky – I met a nice girl who didn’t like nuts – so I jumped on it. Some schools have selection processes for roommates that may help, while others have Facebook groups where you can meet possible roommates.

Once you find a roommate, set some rules. Whether it be not eating your allergen in the room, or if it is simply notifying you beforehand, you need to make your needs clear.