The HC Collegiate Experience- Taking College by the Reins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether you are an incoming freshman or a returning student, the start of each new semester brings a wealth of opportunities that, if taken, have the chance to positively impact your future. While it is important to have a social life and to perform well in classes, it is just as important to focus a fair amount of your time and energy on professional endeavors. Volunteering or participating in a small-scale club could actually provide you with experience that potential employers may be looking for. With that in mind, here is some advice I have for readers this week based on my own personal experiences.

Dorming is not only a great way to get to know new people and have a new experience, but it is also a great opportunity to practice your professional networking skills.From my experience it really teaches you things like managing your time around other people’s schedules, getting to know other people, etc.

Experiencing living off-campus is a great way to get a taste of the independent life. You will get to learn how to be more responsible with your time and money. I personally found myself going out less and cooking meals more to stay within my budget. You may want to consider being a commuter student for at least one semester out of your four (or more) years in school. I have been a commuter student for a majority of my college career, and while I have found it annoying to wake up earlier for classes and sometimes feeling tempted to skip class because I don’t feel like driving, it has taught me to become more organized and responsible.

Networking is key, no matter what year you are;leave no stone unturned. Be nice to everyone and keep in touch with past employers/internship coordinators. You’d be surprised how many opportunities I’ve found just by communicating regularly with people most people wouldn’t think twice about when doing their job search.

If there is something you’re particularly interested in, no matter how silly or ridiculous it may seem, stick to it. I have always had a love for films and writing; two things that normally don’t make the average person a lot of money. I’ve found that so long as you keep doing what you love, eventually an opportunity may present itself. If you’ve been continuously pursuing what you love, you’ll always be ready to take on the opportunity when it arises. Attend every career fair, workshop, or event you can.

While you may not always find a job at these events, it really helps put into perspective what you might be looking for in the future and also gives you great interview practice. Not only take initiative with opportunities and take risks, but also don’t be afraid to make some sacrifices.The age-old adage is true; you get the most out of any experience with the amount of effort you put in. So even if you’re assigned nothing but grunt work at your job or internship, stay positive! We all have to start somewhere. Who knows, if you endure it and your employer is impressed, you may find yourself with a full-time position post-internship. Or, if the position is paid, you might receive a raise or a bonus!