Halloween Treats and Eats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With Halloween around the corner, the battle for the best party begins. Leave the costumes to the guests and the entertainment to the eclectic music mix, but don’t forget: it’s the “hostess with the mostest” who’s responsible for the food and drinks.

Think colors: orange and black. Food dye and icing are your new best friends. Funfetti cakes are easy to make and you can cover them with orange frosting and make jack-o’-lantern eyes with black frosting. Cupcakes are also the perfect shape for pumpkin treats.

Trying something healthy? Get a big circular tray of carrots and spread them all over; then, place triangular shaped dipping trays with dressing inside. The triangle shapes will look like the eyes of a jack-o-lantern!
Getting creative with the pumpkin flavor? Martha Stewart’s pumpkin cupcakes are a delcious way to incorporate your favorite autumn flavor. (http://www.marthastewart.com/317069/pumpkin-cupcakes) If you’re feeling exrtra daring, try incorporating the pumpkin puree, nutmeg and ginger flavors into other treats for a similar taste.

Looking for some spooky drink options? Add some orange food coloring to a clear drink like seltzer or sprite or even make a punch bowl and fill it will candy spiders and worms from a local candy store. Let’s not forget the staple of the season: pumpkin spice coffees! Tons of coffee companies sell flavored coffee beans or even flavored syrups to spice up every cup.

Jell-O also come in fun, holiday colors for treats and drinks that fit any party occasion. Use cookie cutters to make spooky shapes or add them to your favorite drink!

Experiment with cookie cutters and use different shapes or even pick up Halloween themed cookies at the food store and just throw them in the oven!

Whatever you choose to make this Halloween, get creative and think outside of the box!

Photo Source (Top): marthastewart.com
Photo Source (Bottom): bestbirthdaywishes.net