Gearing Up for Formal Spring Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, we’ll all spend these next few days and nights locked in our rooms, downing coffee and rereading our class notes till we can’t see straight anymore. Once winter break starts, we’ll finally be able to truly relax for the first time since August.

And you ladies should enjoy this next month of absolutely nothing to do, because as soon as you get back, school is going to go right back in full swing – no warning, no gradual adjustment period, just another 4 months of essays, exams, and sleepless nights. But, if there’s one thing to look forward to about spring semester (besides warm weather) it’s formal sorority recruitment.

Even if you can’t imagine ever joining a sorority, even if you’d rather sit at home and braid your hair than think about participating in formal recruitment, you should at least consider it. This time last year, I felt the same way. Yet, here I am, one year later, sitting in my sorority house trying to persuade anyone and everyone to join.

So, even if you don’t think it’s for you, give it a shot. What’s the worst that could happen? At the very least, you’ll meet some new girls, and maybe make a new friend or two. Don’t deny yourself the chance to make your college experience that much better.

Formal recruitment begins the weekend of January 27th, and ends Sunday, February 5th. Luckily, recruitment only takes place on these two weekends, so you won’t have to worry about it getting in the way of your schoolwork during the week.

Each day, potential new members will spend a brief amount of time visiting each sorority house, taking house tours, learning about the sororities, and getting to know the girls. Honestly, as intimidating as formal recruitment can sound, it’s really nothing more than a few friendly conversations with girls who genuinely want to know all about you.

For those of you who have already picked out your formal recruitment outfits, stay excited. Try not to let the long, dreary winter bring your spirits down or rile up your nerves. Remember, there are somewhere around nine hundred girls in College Park who will be going through the same thing come January 27th.

Most importantly, keep in mind that the sorority girls you will be meeting are just as nervous and excited as you are. They want to meet new people, make new friends, and learn more about you. So be your bright, beautiful, smart, silly selves, and you won’t be disappointed with where you find yourself this time next year.

For more information about formal spring recruitment, visit the University of Maryland Panhellenic Association website at http://www.marylandpha.com/#/spring-2012-formal/4530506725