Four Ways to Destress for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s the last week of classes. After finally tackling that 12-page term paper and finishing that last group project, you proudly pat yourself on the back now that you have successfully completed your assignments.

But that feeling of accomplishment is short lived once you look at the amount of studying you have to do for finals week. The stress hits.

According to a 2007 report from the American Academy of Pediatrics,  “Colleges are seeing a generation of students who appear to be manifesting increased signs of depression, anxiety, perfectionism and stress.”

If you are a high-strung person, not knowing how to handle stress can affect your mental well-being. Constant worrying can lead to a lack of concentration, short-temperedness, anxiety, poor sleeping habits, and memory problems.

Although studying non-stop for hours may seem like a productive idea, you are more likely to burn yourself out. As you begin to plan for how you will study for exams, make room in your schedule for de-stress time. Here are some study break ideas:

1.     Exercise

After studying in an uncomfortable chair and desk for hours, physical activity is a great way to take your mind off exam anxiety. Sophomore engineering major Laura Almeida combats the pressures of finals by going to the Eppley Recreation Center. “Going on the treadmill is a great study break because it clears your mind,” Almeida said. “I also love weight-lifting because I feel like it burns any stress or anger that I have.”

Taking yourself out of your study environment, even for a 15-minute walk, will allow you to give your fried brain a break. If using a treadmill or elliptical seems boring, consider attending the group fitness classes at the ERC. Some of the classes that they offer during finals are yoga, zumba, cycling, abs and lower back, and cardioboxing.

You can look at the complete class schedule for exam week here:
http://www.crs.umd.edu/cms/Fitness/GroupFitness/GroupFitnessSchedules.aspx

2.     Embracing the Holiday Spirit

While finals week may seem excruciatingly long, winter break is just around the corner. Has hours of studying put you into a grumpy or worrisome mood? Turn on some Christmas tunes and make some gingerbread cookies! After finishing your studying for the day, you can reward yourself with the delicious holiday treats that you have made. I personally like to do “secret santa” with my friends during finals week. Though one might view finding a gift as another task to add on to the list of things to do, being surprised by an “anonymous” gift that has arrived in your dorm adds a feeling of happiness to a hectic exam day.

Allrecipes.com has easy-to-follow directions on how to make gingerbread cookies:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gingerbread-cookies-ii/

3. Relaxation Exercises

When you were little, did your mom tell you to take deep breaths when you were upset? Your mom knew that deep breathing alleviates stress. CNN article “How to Manage Your Stress,” highlights the use of relaxation exercises in managing anxiety. “Physiologically, relaxation is the opposite of stress. When you’re relaxed, your breathing and heart rate slow and your mind clears” CNN.com states.

The next time you are at McKeldin accompanied by a pile of textbooks in a frenzy of panic, change your nervous attitude by closing your eyes, and inhaling in and out for ten seconds. This basic relaxation exercise will calm you and allow you to refocus on your schoolwork.

HelpGuide.org gives instructions on how to practice relaxation techniques:

http://helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm

4. Listening to Music

Freshman letters and sciences major Will Streeter relaxes himself during busy times by playing instruments. “I play guitar and the ukulele, it takes my mind off school for a little bit,” Streeter said. For those that don’t know how to play an instrument, having a relaxation play list on your iPod is soothing to listen to, especially the night before a big exam.

About.com lists the top 7 CDs perfect for a stress relief playlist.

Now go ahead and tackle your studying! When you start feeling nervous, remember to take de-stressing breaks to keep yourself sane amidst the craziness of cramming.