This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Article by Freelancer Hannah Kennedy

Being in a long distance relationship is hard, but doing long distance in college can be even harder. 

Balancing school, activities, jobs and friendships alongside a long distance relationship is challenging, but that does not mean it cannot work. Making time for each other is hard even when you are on the same campus, but it is even harder when they are far away. Here are five date ideas for you and your long distance partner.

1. Watch a movie virtually together using Scener.

Scener is a free website that allows you to watch any streaming service alongside your partner. Just go to www.scener.com and make your free account. Then, host a watch party and have your significant other join in. You can see each other through video chat, watch the movie in sync and message one another in the chat box. 

This website makes watching a movie virtually with anyone so much easier!

2. Play a game online together.

Although I am not much of a video game person, my boyfriend and I regularly play GeoGuesser over Skype. This game drops you anywhere on Google maps and you have to use your surroundings to figure out where in the world you are.

Not much of a geography nerd like me? You can also play your favorite video game together or even a virtual board game. Basically everything can be made digital now, so check to see if your favorite games are online!

3. Have a dinner date over video call

Even though you might not be able to go out on a fancy dinner date together, you can still sit down for a nice meal together. If you both like to cook, choose a recipe and cook together over video call. Then sit down and enjoy your delicious meal together over your preferred video call app.

If you are not into cooking, surprise each other with a meal. Use DoorDash, Uber Eats or other food delivery apps to choose your partner’s favorite food and send it to them. Open your food together on camera and enjoy!

4. Make a shared playlist together

This option goes beyond date night, but it is a fun idea to try. Call each other and make a shared playlist on any music streaming apps. Add your favorite songs and listen to them as you add them to the playlist. As time goes on, continue updating the playlist with songs that make you think of them or your current favorite hits. This way, you will feel connected even if you cannot always be together. 

You can also try out Spotify group session if you are a premium user. Just connect to the group and you can listen to the same music simultaneously!

5. Do a virtual paint and sip

Grab a blank canvas, some paint and your favorite drink, then meet your partner on a video call. Choose a design or look you are going for and paint your heart away while chatting. When you are both finished, show each other your finished products.

If you want to take this one step further, paint something meaningful and then send them the canvas to hang in their room or place.