Fall in Love with Informal Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

For me, adjusting to college life wasn’t the easiest task.  I had a hard time finding a solid group of friends and a place where I fit in.  Going through spring recruitment changed everything; I became so happy and made amazing friends.  Joining a sorority was exactly what I needed in order to make such a big school feel smaller.  Greek life has changed my college experience and life for the better that I wish I had joined sooner.  

Had I known about informal fall recruitment, I would have gone through option in a heartbeat.  Unlike spring recruitment, the process is informal.  This means that it is not required that you go to every single house on campus.  You have the power to choose where you go depending on the houses offering fall recruitment and how many times you go back. This cuts down on the number of sometimes unavoidable awkward conversations and allows you to go to the houses where you feel the most comfortable.  This makes the process a lot less stressful, letting you truly be yourself! 

Another perk of fall rush is that the complicated ranking system is removed.   During spring recruitment, potential new members rank which houses they would like to return to the most. Most girls think that ranking your top sororities at that end of the day is a hard and scary decision.   However, you don’t have to cut houses during this process; it is all about seeing where you feel the most at home and choosing to return there.

In order to rush in the fall, you must have completed 12 credits and maintain a 2.5 GPA.  This makes recruitment open to freshman girls who came into college with credits, transfer students, or older girls who have established themselves in College Park already.  This will lead to a wonderful variety of girls in the new pledge classes, which are often smaller.  Having a pledge class with fewer girls allows time to build stronger relationships and get to know each other better.

Courtney Hoyes, a senior criminology major, decided to go through recruitment in Fall 2011.  She is happy to be a part of a pledge class of eight girls.  “Having a small pledge class was a privilege because I was able to become so close with each of them.  We have a bond that I’m not sure could have developed had there been more girls in my pledge class,” Hoyes said.

This fall, four amazing sororities are accepting fall pledge classes.  The sisters of Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Delta Delta, Phi Sigma Sigma, and Sigma Kappa are excited to welcome more girls to their chapters.  These four houses will be hosting parties and offering bids to those that fit perfectly in their sorority.  Look around campus and facebook for information on each chapter’s parties.    

Girls who do not meet the requirements to rush in the fall are still encouraged to go to the open houses and become familiar with Greek life.  This will be extremely helpful during spring recruitment.  Also, consider attending Meet the Greeks on Monday, September 9.

There are so many perks to fall recruitment; it is so much less nerve-racking, complicated, and taxing than spring recruitment.  Many girls find the place that makes them happy at the beginning of the year rather than waiting until second semester.

So this fall, don’t miss the opportunity to fall in love with the sorority of your dreams! 

Photos: All photos are from www.marylandpanhellenicassocia…

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.